What is the best salt...???

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by MOVIE GUY, Feb 7, 2010.

1. MOVIE GUY

MOVIE GUY New Member

What would you all say about what is the best "brand" and "type" of salt to use...??? I do not care about the cost, just want to use the best for the long term in my brine tank?

thanks for your help folks. it is great to have all of you here helping out all of us home owners !!!!
  2. Bob999

Bob999 In the Trades

If you are using staight salt then the I recommend a good quality solar salt. In my experience Morton brand is good. My definition of "good" is based primarily on being clean--very little "dirt".

The alternative is a pellet salt. There are several brands and generally they are very clean and also have an additive that is supposed to help clean the resin. The downside of pellet salt is that a binder is used to hold the pellets together and in the past this sometimes caused problems.

Small amounts of dirt in solar salt don't really cause a problem other than a gradual buildup in the bottom of the brine tank over time that will have to be cleaned out.
  3. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

99% of the time I am using the Morton Blue bag, extra course for system start up or delivery for customers. If there is the need for extra cleaning then some Iron out in between the bags that go into the brine tank.

Depending on the water that is getting treated, the cleaning out of the brine tank every X number of years is always a good idea.
  4. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

Solar crystal salt without the resin cleaner additive and don't fill the tank. If you need a resiin cleaner for iron, mix it in a gallon or two of water and pour it into the water in the brine tank and do a manual regeneration. That works the best.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  5. MOVIE GUY

MOVIE GUY New Member

Can you tell me pro & con on ........"Morton system saver II" vs "Morton crystal solar salt"................."Diamond crystal pellets" vs "Diamond crystal solar salt"...???

Will the pellet type of salt not work as well in the brine tank??
  6. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

Solar causes the fewest if any salt related problems with the operation of a softener, and it's always the lowest cost. It doesn't matter what brand, salt is salt.