What is the best flushing toilet, Toto Drake?

Users who are viewing this thread

kdtrumpet

Reaction score
I had a plumber out to my (rental) house today, b/c I seem to clog my toilet (2005 american standard 1.6) multiple times each week. Apparently the plumber thinks my problem is my toilet paper...? He did run a snake through it and also fixed the handle which wasn't working quite right either. So I did switch to a cheaper thinner toilet paper- but STILL clogged it again the first time using it after the plumber had left!

I think my best option, if I decide to actually purchase a toilet for a rental house, is to get some kind of "power flush" toilet. A different plumber I called today recommended the Toto brand, and I can see from your website and others that the Toto (Drake?) is about the best....??

Will the Toto Drake be able to handle the goods of a pregnant woman?? Is there another brand you'd recommend? I was wondering about some kind of pressure assisted toilet, like the Gerber? But the reviews didn't seem as good?

Finally, can my husband (yes he's pretty handy) install a Toto Drake? It sounds like probably, yes?

If I get a Toto, which one has the best flush for big stools??

I just want the best flushing toilet, and hopefully for the best price. I'm sick of plunging! Thank you for the advice!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your choice of toilet paper may very well be the main problem. The heavy weights like Charmin are often the culprit. That is not to say that a Toto Drake wouldn't help the situation, I'm sure it would, but try a change of TP first. I have found the house labeled paper sold by chain grocery stores to be about the best for me. I.m pretty sure that one company makes them for everyone. Safeway calls theirs Softly.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most of the Toto line is much better than most of the others out there. The Drake is a good toilet, I put two in my mother's house. But, if your stools are very large and hard, the Caroma might be a better choice. For anyone without a medical problem that produces large, hard stools, a Toto is hard to plug up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
If it is a Drake you are after, the highest flush capacity (900 MaP score) is given to the ADA height, elongated bowl. I'm not sure if the extra increment of height increases the siphon and/or makes for smoother bends in the trapway but it tests better. This rating is for the EcoDrake version, the standard height elongated comes in at 600 and the round at 500. I expect the standard Drake is just as high or higher in MaP score.

Install should be no problem for anyone that is handy. The biggest likely gotcha is if the flange face is below the floor/tile level and that is easily remedied.

It could also be a larger problem with the plumbing of the home that is adding to the trouble though. I've had problems in older homes with iron waste lines filling with iron oxide sediment until I've had to have plumbers out to snake out all the major lines and vents while I chased out each with copious amounts of water. I've also had problems with roots and such plugging the line from the house to the sewer main a time or two.

Courtesy flush before wiping. That way if it clogs you can rule out TP as an issue.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The so-call courtesy flush would mean you would be using almost as much water as an old 3 gallon toilet. A bidet seat and lighter weight TP would be the best answer. FWIW, I have been using a Toto Dartmouth in my home for 2 years and have never had a clog, never have had to flush twice to get rid of shreds to TP. Pressure assisted flushing systems we an attempt to make poorly designed toilets work under the low flush mandates. They were a flop. Many of the famous name toilet makers tried to use gimmicks to make their old designs work as low flushers. Toto completely redesigned their toilets so they work work without clogging. That's what rocketed Toto to be the largest toilet maker in the world. MAPP tests of over 500 grams is overkill and in fact, the whold MAPP testing is suspect of being less than valid. Any Toto toilet will function as you would want a toilet to function. Toto does not make a power assist.

Reaction score
The so-call courtesy flush would mean you would be using almost as much water as an old 3 gallon toilet.

This was in response to a specific problem for specific person as part of troubleshooting (e.g. prove that TP was/was not sending them over the edge for someone with particularly problematic stools), not a general call to do courtesy flushes.

Even so, the toilet would be using only slightly more water than normal because the ratio of solids flushes to liquid waste flushes is still several fold different. I make no claim for it being an ideal solution.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most of the newer toilets that use a 3" flush valve and 2" plus trapway work very well for everyone, with the exception of a medical issue with larger than normal stools, we're taking maybe 1% of the population here, then the Caroma is the way to go. Their trapway is 3" or larger.

We sell a handful of Caroma a year, mainly for that reason.
Most of the sales are TOTO,
And we sell a few American Standard, mainly for special purposes.
Quality control on the American Standard is horrendous though.
Even on the stuff that you pay highly for.
We sell a lot of the $500 range in American Standard and have been hit with 20% returns.

Through my eyes

toto_gerber_caroma.jpg

Last edited:

leokri

Reaction score
Hello Terry.
I am desperately seeking for a good flushing toilet. What you will recommend to buy considering as high quality at affordable price? I have found this flushing toilet review https://totalguide.org/best-flushing-toilet/ and this thread today searching on google. So, I want to know Toto will be perfect choice or not.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A good entry level toilet is the TOTO Entrada
CST243E in round
CST244E in elongated
Both are comfort height with 1000 MaP scores.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks