What is the aspirator for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Notice that the parts diagram is typical for Kohler....multiple versions produced of the identical model #>http://www.kohlerserviceparts.kohle...22b6&ModelID=cbe0c82ce70a49958823633ac97126e5

Anyway, the aspirator #30521 is an insert in the body of the valve, at the outlet to the shower. Many, if not most , brands ...use a flow restricor in the outlet to the shower. Helps to eliminate unwanted upflow to the shower head when using spout. Don't know why they call it an aspirator, but I don't know of any explanation except "flow restrictor".

Thomas Carver

Reaction score
I also thought it was for water restriction conservation until I read the invention patent. Pretty clever thinking. Not for water conservation at all. Basically its intentions are for when you are drawing a bath, excess water pressure doesn't send water up the pipe to the shower head by way of the venturi effect. Pretty good article if you would like to educate yourself. https://patents.google.com/patent/US8210203B2/en

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Kohler K-302 shower valve
What is the aspirator for?
ALL 2 valve tut.shower valves, without a 'twin ell', must have some device to limit the flow to the spout so excess waters does not go to the shower head and drip/spray water. The "aspirator's" main functions to to control the flow, but its secondary function is to "aspriate/suck" any excess water out of the riser before it can reach the shower head.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks