What is leaking if ceiling below toilet shows water damage, but no water leaks show upstairs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Fun2Learn

Reaction score
Hi. What could be causing a leak that only shows up underneath a toilet? It is probably a slow leak, as the only evidence of one is that the drywall is getting slightly bowed on the ceiling directly underneath the second floor toilet. It is gradually getting worse. There is no evidence of any leaking in the bathroom upstairs, however. The suspect toilet is over 20 years old, but the wax ring was replaced about 2 years ago when my husband temporarily removed the toilet during a minor remodeling project. If there is no evidence upstairs of a leak, does this mean that it is probably coming from pipes and not the toilet? I'd hate to rip into the ceiling to reach the pipes only the learn that it is the just the toilet that needed replacing! If my dear hubby didn't replace the toilet correctly, could that have created a slow leak that would only be evident from below? As I stated, there is no water leaking onto the bathroom floor itself.
Can condensation dripping off the outside of the pipes be enough to cause such damage? (The floor space under the toilet is open trusses, which do open to the garage attic, but there is insulation with a vapor barrier separating it.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give. My husband has been unemployed, so we have to be very careful with our money and can't afford to call a plumber unless absolutely necessary.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would feel around the angle stop and where it connects to the toilet and be sure it is not leaking. Make sure there is no leak at the tank to bowl connection. Sometimes it will start to leak around the bolts in the tank. Look inside the tank and make sure there is no problem with the fill valve. Check to see if the overflow is below holes in the tank such as the flush handle. Check all of this and if you are sure that is not the problem and no one has been leaving the curtain or door open to the shower etc., then I would pull the toilet up. I would do all of that before I cut a hole in the ceiling.

Fun2Learn

Reaction score
Thanks so much, Smooky! I had to google what an "angle stop" was. I thought it was called a shut-off valve! When I googled I saw so many "hits" come up about the need to replace them, that the older models don't last, etc.
I will try what you suggested. Have a great weekend.

Flapper

Reaction score
Did the issue start recently? I'm thinking a leak was created when the wax ring was replaced. Did the new wax ring have a funnel?

Fun2Learn

Reaction score
Hi Flapper! Thanks so much for responding. This issue started awhile ago--it could have been even two years ago when the wax ring was replaced--it has been so gradual and I don't think I noticed it right away. It is the kind of thing that you don't notice unless you are sitting down and looking up at the ceiling from across the room , and you know the old saying, "out of sight, out of mind"!-- we would just forget about it. I just noticed that it has been getting bigger and decided we better stop procrastinating and take action! No water actually dripping through, but the ceiling is definitely bulging!

I don't think that the wax ring had a funnel- should it have had one? I remember that I just picked up one from Home Depot for him to install. My husband isn't exactly a pro diy'er either, so it is possible we used the wrong kind or it was installed wrong (it wouldn't be the first time, LOL!) So it sounds like it might be worth it to take the toilet up and inspect the wax ring? The toilet is an American Standard from 1987 .

I did check what Smooky suggested and there don't appear to be any leaks visible from inside the bathroom.

Thanks.

Flapper

Reaction score
No it shouldn't have a funnel because those are notorious for leaking and the funnel is useless.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks