what is going on in this picture??

Users who are viewing this thread

BrentH

Civil Engineer
Reaction score
So I have a couple questions here. First off, I have never seen plastic pipe combined with copper pipe. Is this standard? Is that corrosion on the copper pipe? Is the black on the insulation where water got behind the vapor barrier? I am planning to install a new shower valve here and am wondering if I can reuse the existing copper pipe? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Brent_shower_plumbing.jpg
    Brent_shower_plumbing.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 506

BrentH

Civil Engineer
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the info. I guess that is what I expected to hear. Is the bluish tinge on the copper oxidation or something else? Do regular box stores carry CPVC and fittings?

One more question. The tub spout that I will be installing screws (threads) on (not a slide on and set screw) . How far will the tub spout line need to extend past the finish surface to ensure the tub spout will seat up closely with the tile?

Thanks in advance.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Every model of spout has its own specification...so, you have to read its installation specification to determine the length of the stub sticking out of the finished wall. That's why it's easier with a slip-on spout.

BrentH

Civil Engineer
Reaction score
Jim,

Thanks for the info. It's a Delta 1700 - I've looked it up online to read through the installation instructions. It did not specify a length. I believe this is a pretty common shower valve. Just curious if others have installed this and know the appropriate length.

I was hoping for a slip on and set screw but was not so lucky this time around.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are some that screw on, but the adapter on the spout can be moved to get the right depth. One of the pros that deals with the things has a better chance of knowing. Terry posted a link to a neat new one that screwed on, then had an adjustment screw that move the spout back to the wall to get a tight connection...neat.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
When I recently install a Delta 1700 in my shower, I sweat a male adapter on a piece of pipe that I knew was a bit longer than would be necessary. Then I screwed that assembly into the spout and cut the end of the pipe off to fit. Worked great. As far as reusing copper pipe, there is no reason not to reuse it. Even fittings can be reused, however most of us don't because it just isn't worth the time and effort to clean the solder out to make them fit on the pipe. That plastic pipe is CPVC and you should know that the inside diameter is much smaller than copper pipe of the same size. It may not be perfectly accurate to say that 1/2" CPVC is the same as 3/8" copper, but I think it pretty close, and that is a huge difference pipe. Do the math to figure the area of a circle and you can see what I mean.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
spout

The picture is too dark to be able to diagnose the copper. The Delta spout will probably have an "adapter" that fastens to the pipe, and it has a great deal of latitude as far as where you can put it. You almost have to work hard at it" to put it in a wrong location.

Wethead

Reaction score
That must have been piped long ago when copper was cheap :D

Anyone notice the copper "cat" that is supporting the body,

My old boss used to have us use copper for cats as well, it was faster then cutting wood, but now that copper is $$ , well you don't see many copper cats any more.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is quite true that for a time copper prices were out of control. However, while still not "cheap" by any means, copper if much less expensive today. On a single small job the actual dollars do not amount to much.

Wethead

Reaction score
It is quite true that for a time copper prices were out of control. However, while still not "cheap" by any means, copper if much less expensive today. On a single small job the actual dollars do not amount to much.

True, I meant "cheaper" then today's prices. On small Jobs your right the price isn't off to much but on roughs these days ...well we all know, everyone wants everything for the lowest price possible.....

I did enjoy making the cats with copper as it was faster then cutting wood, less tools etc .

Iminaquagmire

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I would replumb all of that in new copper. All of the dimesions are going to be off once a new valve goes in and you'll have to cut it all apart anyway. I would also use a sharkbite fitting to attach the copper to the CPVC.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks