What is causing trickling noise?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by juliexyz, Jul 9, 2008.

1. juliexyz

juliexyz New Member

Hello Everyone,

My hubby installed a new Toto Ultramax toilet in our new bathroom. There appear to be no problems or leaks, except that after flushing and filling, the toilet is completely quiet for a couple of seconds, then there is a trickling noise that lasts for about 10 seconds. It is loud and sounds like it is under the toilet in the pipes. We also hear this noise when we are going "number one". I have had leaky toilets before and am familiar with the hissing sound, but never heard a toilet do this. My hubby checked for pipes under the house and he said there were no leaks. Where is this noise coming from? Could there be a problem with the venting? Any advice would help!

Julie
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

After a flush, a toilet bowl is overfilled, and then slowly equilizes itself so the water level can no longer overflow down the drain. Same thing happens when you add some, some goes down the drain until it equilizes again.
    Some toilets allow you to hear that a little more than others, but they all do it.
  3. juliexyz

juliexyz New Member

Thanks for your response Jadnashua. I'm glad to know that this is normal and not a problem, except I wonder if there is any way to make it quieter. I'm guessing that insulating the pipes below wouldn't help. Any thoughts?
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

After a week or so, you won't notice. Or, turn on the vent fan, then you can't hear it. On the skirted toilets, you might be able to stuff some insulation in there from behind, but it would be a good nesting place for a mouse.