What is better operating system?

Users who are viewing this thread

alleonna

Reaction score
Which do you think is better Linux or Windows? Or any other operating systems you know?

My operating system is WindowsXP but my brother want to change it to Linux because he said its better. And I don't know in what way???

I always find Windows user friendly and better. Can anybody tell me more about which OS is better and why???

Thanks

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
This is what I do for a living; my professional opinion is if you've already paid for a legal copy of XP and are comfortable with it, you'd be nuts to switch to Linux. If you're the geeky type who likes to experiment, and are not concerned with being in the mainstream world, Linux is for you. If you're uncertain, you can dual-boot a single piece of hardware, or virtualize the two OSs with VMware. If you don't know what I'm talking about in the preceding sentence, go back to the first sentence.

OldHouse

Reaction score
I would suggests exactly what Mikey said. If you aren't up for the tinkering with linux, stick to XP.
OH

Gouranga

Software Engineer
Reaction score
There are folks I know who would shoot me for even suggesting it but I would also stay with Windows. The whole idea with windows is it is easy to use, relatively stable, and of course there is a LOT of commercial software available for it. Unless you have a specific need for Linux that Windows just is not meetings OR if unless you have a spare machine and want to just mess around with Linux for S&Gs I would stay with Windows.

alleonna

Reaction score
thanks for the advice... i own a license XP... but my brother need linux because he's doing some sort of programming i guess. Maybe i'll settle for a dual OS... or maybe I suggest that he buys he's own PC to install his Linux! hehehehe But for the meantime that he had no cash, I'll think I'll settle to have the 2 OS install in my PC!

Thanks everyone!

CCbrands1

Reaction score
That would be best.

No disrespect whatsoever, but if you have to ask which OS to go with, then windows is best.

linux is command based, instead of "windows" GUI based.

albeit more secure against worms and viri, it is nowhere near as user friendly as windows.

WAAAAYYYYY less software is compatible with linux also.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Been in the business for a while. The question should be refrasied as to what is the best OS for the applications I want to run on it. Best always being relative, not a perfect world yet.

Paul

Sincraft

Reaction score
Windows = for everyone

Linux = for computer geeks, pros etc

Bottom line.

Keep in mind that many people think they are computer literate. In reality, they have not even scratched the surface.

Loading applications and understanding applications is just USER AWARENESS. That is the BARE minimum + your career requirements, in order to get just an ENTRY level job now adays in the corporate world.

The best question to pose to someone that wants to know if they should goto linux or not is, have you ever had a problem with your computer that you were not able to resolve yourself in a timely manner (usually within 30 minutes if it did not require parts).

IF however, you are pretty savy and learn pretty quickly on the fly and have some extra time and possibly an extra computer, GIVE IT A TRY! Why not right? :)

more fyi:
Linux as it stands right now is nothing special in my opinion. But raise the price of windows a bit more, and with more compatibility with linux distros..then it may be to me.
It was once known as a fast operating system that was FREEEEEEEEEEEEE! That and the DOWN WITH MICROSOFT attitude made it and still holds it as big news. As it is the ONLY new news right? If it were a stock, it would trade at about .25 cents. Definetely not sub penny land but,...

Now, many distributions are packaged nicely with alllllllllllllllllll these tools you will NEVER use unless you have no life and sit behind a computer day and night, in which case you would have downloaded it anyway. Many linux distributions have so much stuff loaded into them now, there are MANY controversies as to what version of linux is the best. Their names are not like windows (95, 98, 2000, xp) They are usually names with the most popular one being red hat (which is also recently used as a term for someone that uses both nice and not so nice methods of getting a better ranking for their web page on a web site) BUT you don't need to know all of this lol...sorry.

Had this been windows 95 land vs linux. The answer would be, go for linux if you have some skill because well, windows 95 took some user interaction whenever changing settings at times, none more difficult than setting up some of the out of box linux distros of current day.

Overall: Linux has come a long way, and it has a LONG way to go. There are MANY out of the box distributions (red hat etc etc) that allow you to setup and go righ to a desktop. Earlier versions had you back to the command prompt land and loading a variety of desktops with browsers etc etc to get the windows 'feel'. It's MUCH easier now, but much more configurable to those that want to 'play around'.

Oh btw, security on a linux box usually is FAR superior to a windows machine, but I have personally found many issues that go un-resolved on a daily basis with several distributions that cause lax security issues.

Windows is by far the most insecure operating system, by in large to its popularity and those sheer numbers tinkering around to learn its vulnerbilities.

Ok sorry, probably more than you EVER will need to know...I'm tired and rambling. :)

revbob

Reaction score
What is a better operating system

Hey Mike50. I am with you. I have been using Mac for over 25 years. Windows is copied from orat least based on Mac OS. It is user friendly for those of us that just want to get our work done without having to learn another complicated program. Also, most of the virus programs affect PC's more than Macs(more PC's/less Macs). The only down side is the cost.
revbob

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
revbob said:
I have been using Mac for over 25 years.

Macs first went on the market in January 1984. Maybe they're so hard to use it just seems like >25 years:D .

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
"but my brother need linux because he's doing some sort of programming i guess. Maybe i'll settle for a dual OS... or maybe I suggest that he buys he's own PC to install his Linux! hehehehe But for the meantime that he had no cash, I'll think I'll settle to have the 2 OS install in my PC! "

I would consider getting a second hard drive for the Linux. Then he can take the whole thing with him when he gets his own machine.

Now you will probably get some feedback from someone who knows if that is a good idea. Since I'm not an expert, it just seems like a good idea to me.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
revbob said:
Hey Mike50. I am with you. I have been using Mac for over 25 years. Windows is copied from orat least based on Mac OS. It is user friendly for those of us that just want to get our work done without having to learn another complicated program. Also, most of the virus programs affect PC's more than Macs(more PC's/less Macs). The only down side is the cost.
revbob

Macs aren't *in your face* nearly as much.

I don't encounter nearly as many evangelical MS people as in 3-5 years back. It was almost like people who live in Texas and want you to know they live in the biggest and and most superlative state in the union.
Can't argue with the size issue...but...somehow the Apple Macintosh G5 is somehow inferior?

I was an apple guy from the get-go. I don't know anything else.
When a better product comes along I will check it out--be sure to let me know if you hear anything revbob.

;)

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Mikey said:
Macs first went on the market in January 1984. Maybe they're so hard to use it just seems like >25 years:D .

And Steve Jobs was first to mass market *that mouse thing* along with it. But, Mikey...C'mon it didnt take you 25 years to learn to use it?? lol naw...
;)

shannonhamilton

Reaction score
I agree with Mike. Stick to what you are good at ... Plus you can run so much more software with windows...

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Verdeboy said:
My experience with Macs is that they won't even make a decent boat anchor!:rolleyes:

Then you might want to tell that to Infoworld who awarded
Mac OSX Tiger both of their Best Operating System Awards for 2006.

It's an intuitive elegant system that creative types find very attractive.
People who dont really enjoy interfacing with computer technology should always consider Mac.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/01/02/01FEtoyawards_1.html

Z4b4U

Reaction score
Website
www.inhomeimprovements.com
Passionate Users

Interesting question to post on a forum. I can assure you that Unix/Linux users think that it is the best OS, Windows drones think it is the best OS and Mac users believe there is no other alternative to the Mac.

It's personal preference and purpose. I'm in the IT business and use all three but for different reasons. Each OS has strengths and weaknesses.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks