What exactly is the inspector looking for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Macska

Reaction score
What are the exact things that an inspector will check upon viewing the completed plumbing. Will the inspector always require a pressure test for replacement of old pipes?

Plumguy

Reaction score
It all depends on the inspector and the amount of pipe replaced. But a normal test would be 125psi on water and 5psi on drains.

Plumguy

Reaction score
The inspector will also look for proper install by code and from reading you're other post... if you decide to use the cleanout as means of tying into the system expect to be failed.

Kristi

Tradesman Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.prettyplumbing.com
They'll be checking to make sure it's all installed up to code! Up here (Vancouver, BC) there's no short 90's in the drainage, no S-traps, the piping should drain downhill the whole way 1/4" per foot, proper venting, etc, ettc... it's really up to the individual inspector. Your local code is the best source of info, but isn't fun to navigate if you're not used to it. My inspectors usually let me get away without pressure testing drainage, but if you're a DIY homeowner, they will probably require one.

Macska

Reaction score
The inspector will also look for proper install by code and from reading you're other post... if you decide to use the cleanout as means of tying into the system expect to be failed.

I was just curious why it wouldn't be allowed. I wasn't planning on doing it, I just want to understand why...the more I know the better my work will be in the long run :)

Plumguy

Reaction score
I think HJ explained it...it is not an approved fitting. A cleanout is not a wye it is a T and therefore is illegal. It is appreciated that you would replace it with another cleanout above..but because of the T design it can disrupt the flow of the drain and therefore is not allowed for the connection of a drain.

Macska

Reaction score
I seem to missing something here, cause I just can't seem to wrap my head around the explanation. The cleanout in my system looks like this:

Y

not

T

I can understand why a T design would not be code, because water flows downhill and Ts are only only for vents, but I'm confused why a Y design would violate code.

I appreciate those of you who are kind enough to help me out, as I am interested in learning as much as I can so I can do things right.

Plumguy

Reaction score
We can only go by you're explaination which at this point is confusing. Post a picture if you can and that will clarify everything on both sides.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ode

macska said:
I seem to missing something here, cause I just can't seem to wrap my head around the explanation. The cleanout in my system looks like this:

Y

not

T

I can understand why a T design would not be code, because water flows downhill and Ts are only only for vents, but I'm confused why a Y design would violate code.

Tee are not just for vents, and if your cleanout is a "Y" then it might be a place to make the connection, but only if you kept a cleanout at that location. Your description of the installation might make sense to you, but when we read it we do not get any insight into what it really looks like. And that makes the difference between whether it is proper or improper. An inspector will look at whatever he thinks is important, sometimes to the point of nitpicking if he is looking for a reason to reject the installation.

Last edited:

Macska

Reaction score
This is what my cleanout looks like. It's about a foot or so off the floor.

Attachments

• To Main stack.doc
    21.5 KB · Views: 486

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
We Want To See Your Work

if you,re afraid to show us your work, what do you think the inspector is going to say? we,re here to help!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks