What does rough-in sink mean?

Users who are viewing this thread

Alpac

Reaction score
I am remodeling, first time, under permit. I paid for rough-in for an extra sink.
What does rough-in mean?

I hope it means, I don't need another permit to complete the extra sink, yet I want to perform minimumm work. Please help me understand that boundary line (common practice).

In the laundry room, I'd like to place a sink/counter where a washing machine was located. In that location, I have a 2-inch Washing machine drain, trap, 1.5 inch vent with copper pipe stubbed and capped in a vertical orientation from the floor.

My next step is to sheetrock over the wall where the drain and the copper exists. Next fall, I'll add that sink/counter.

How much farther do I need to take the rough-in to complete the final work without permit?

Should I add the San-tee to the vent line? Can I point it out? How to close the santee?

Do I need to add valves now? Or can I add them later when connecting water via flex hoses....

Thanks for sharing your thoughts,

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
rough in

I am not sure what the question is, or what your schedule for the work progress is, but "rough in" is installing the pipes and getting them extended through the wall or floor, so the finish material can be installed. If you have separate permits for rough in and finish, then you will need another one when you get ready to install the sink, or rather after it is installed, so it can be inspected.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Where I live, you pay one permit price, but the inspector makes (at least) two trips...one to verify things that will be covered up by finished walls, floors, etc. are done right (the rough-in) and then for final after everything is installed to verify any other faults and to verify proper operation. Things need to be open to verify vents, drains, etc. It can be quite awhile between when that is accomplished and the final.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks