What do you think of this tile layout?

Users who are viewing this thread

Danenetics

Reaction score
I thought when you do the layout for a tile job one of the main points is to avoid the tiny piece syndrome, am I right?
What is your opinion of this work?

Thanks in advance,

Dan
Tiny1.jpg
Tiny2.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Very poor planning on the tile layout. And, that large of a grout joint is not my preference...some like it, though It is not wrong. The grout line size is determined by the variation of the tile sizes and then, if you wish, you can go bigger. Leaving thinset in the grout joint area also means potential grout coloration variations...the thinset will absorb more water from the grout, and that affects how it cures and it's final color. Needs to be cleaned up, and it's easier to do while still uncured.

Danenetics

Reaction score
Jim,

Thank you for your opinion.

Please chime in on this folks, looking for many more responses.

Best,

Dan

speeder

Reaction score
not sure what responses you are looking for . . . as you must already feel, there are better ways to do this tile layout than what has been done. However, what are your options at this point?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
On the horizontal, it looks like the tile on the edge is a bullnose trim piece...those only generally come in one size, so you'd either want to make the ledge bigger or smaller so you could use either just the trim piece, or have a bigger piece...or, use the trim on the vertical run, or, use a tile edging profile, maybe like one of these
Schluter roundec.jpg

Danenetics

Reaction score
not sure what responses you are looking for . . . as you must already feel, there are better ways to do this tile layout than what has been done. However, what are your options at this point?

Thanks for your viewpoint.

I say it looks bad and not done in a professorial manner. I could be wrong, maybe it's just me. So I'm looking to hear what everyone from pros to homeowners think about it. I'm saying that the remodel of a functional but dated bathroom is based mainly on the visual appearance of the project.
I'm also saying that tile 101 is you layout to avoid the small pieces, am I right on this?

There are a couple of options, but I just want to hear what folks have to say first.

Danenetics

Reaction score
On the horizontal, it looks like the tile on the edge is a bullnose trim piece...those only generally come in one size, so you'd either want to make the ledge bigger or smaller so you could use either just the trim piece, or have a bigger piece...or, use the trim on the vertical run, or, use a tile edging profile, maybe like one of theseView attachment 30860

The shelf width would have to stay the same.
Interesting trim pieces, I need to check those out, thanks.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Europe and most of the rest of the world has stopped making most trim pieces, and especially in Europe, they use profiles for the edges. www.schluter.com started their company with a line of profiles over 30-years ago, and over the years, they've expanded into lots of other things for tile. They are not the only company that makes them, but their line of available choices, applications, and finishes is probably the biggest.

speeder

Reaction score
hate to criticize other people's work from a couple of pictures.

is this a paid tilesetter that did the work? handyman? or ?

I would agree that a general rule of thumb is to avoid small slivers, but sometimes the layout and location of some of the other elements of a bathroom dictate the best way to layout the tile, so there are times when you cannot avoid the sliver of tile.

Having said that, as a contractor, I would not be happy with that tile job based on those two pictures.

-odd layout resulting in the sliver of tiles
- closeness of the non-aligning grout joints in the bullnose tile, and the adjacent field tiles
- corner tiles should be symmetrically sized on the two sides of the corner (imho)
- one of the grout joints (marked with masking tape) is not the same as the others
- is this going to be a steam shower (typically don't tile ceiling unless steam shower). if it is, it seems inadequately waterproofed.
-looks like they didn't notch trowel the thinset before installing tile (see green of wallboard in every grout line) . . . did they dot it?
- excessive thin set squeeze-out.
- probably would have tried to have the shower arm in the middle of a tile, or on a grout joint for symmetry. . . this may result in a sliver of tile on the edge.
- probably would have cut the bullnose tile to match the field tile width so the grout lines continue through.
- is this mastic thinset (premixed in a bucket) or cement based (mix yourself)

+on a positive note, the bullnose tile seems to overlap just the right amount to line up with the tile below.
+I would be fine with that size of grout joint (looks like 3/16) for that style of tile.

If the tile job is very fresh, it shouldn't be too hard to remove and start over if that is your inclination.

What is that green stuff that is painted on the wall board?

Again, I don't like to criticize work based on a couple of pictures, but hope that is helpful to you. Good luck on finding the right solution.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I think that whoever is doing the tile is bad at math.
Normally you center the tile as best you can so that you don't have tiny bits left on the ends.

Danenetics

Reaction score
hate to criticize other people's work from a couple of pictures.

is this a paid tilesetter that did the work? handyman? or ?

I would agree that a general rule of thumb is to avoid small slivers, but sometimes the layout and location of some of the other elements of a bathroom dictate the best way to layout the tile, so there are times when you cannot avoid the sliver of tile.

Having said that, as a contractor, I would not be happy with that tile job based on those two pictures.

-odd layout resulting in the sliver of tiles
- closeness of the non-aligning grout joints in the bullnose tile, and the adjacent field tiles
- corner tiles should be symmetrically sized on the two sides of the corner (imho)
- one of the grout joints (marked with masking tape) is not the same as the others
- is this going to be a steam shower (typically don't tile ceiling unless steam shower). if it is, it seems inadequately waterproofed.
-looks like they didn't notch trowel the thinset before installing tile (see green of wallboard in every grout line) . . . did they dot it?
- excessive thin set squeeze-out.
- probably would have tried to have the shower arm in the middle of a tile, or on a grout joint for symmetry. . . this may result in a sliver of tile on the edge.
- probably would have cut the bullnose tile to match the field tile width so the grout lines continue through.
- is this mastic thinset (premixed in a bucket) or cement based (mix yourself)

+on a positive note, the bullnose tile seems to overlap just the right amount to line up with the tile below.
+I would be fine with that size of grout joint (looks like 3/16) for that style of tile.

If the tile job is very fresh, it shouldn't be too hard to remove and start over if that is your inclination.

What is that green stuff that is painted on the wall board?

Again, I don't like to criticize work based on a couple of pictures, but hope that is helpful to you. Good luck on finding the right solution.

Speeder,

Thanks for taking a thorough look.

I have added one more pic of the overall.

I think I covered most of your questions.

Paid tile guy, "award winning".

Not a steam shower.

Said he was buttering, did not watch.

Cement based.

Not a fresh install. When I returned home from work I had to have him stop at this point.

The green is rolled on waterproofing.

Thanks,

Dan

Last edited:

Danenetics

Reaction score
hj,

Thanks for taking the time to comment.
I realize all the lines can cause grief. I just don't understand why a full tile at bottom and a sliver at top. Along with what Terry mentioned.

Thanks,

Dan

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The top and bottom are a different issue than the vertical pieces at the end of each row. The top and bottom SHOULD have been adjusted by moving everything up a half tile.

Danenetics

Reaction score
The top and bottom are a different issue than the vertical pieces at the end of each row. The top and bottom SHOULD have been adjusted by moving everything up a half tile.

Pic 1 give you a view of the tiny pieces at left front of fixture wall. Pic three shows the opposing wall, the right front of that wall is totally different than the fixture wall. I'm wondering why?

Thanks,

Dan

Jadnashua

Reaction score
SOme tile guys are artists, some are just grunts. Both can make a functional shower (and both can make a crappy shower) but a true artist with some knowledge is a godsend. Not everyone takes great pride in their work, and some just don't have a clue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks