What do you call those things that stick out of a ground or wall...

Users who are viewing this thread

Flapper

Reaction score
You know those plumbing assembles, that consist of a pipe coming out of a ground or wall, to go through some valves and devices, and back in? Like for an RPZ or PRV. Outside you may have an RPZ on one and inside you may have a PRV and main valve. Do they have a name or something? Here is an example of a plumbing assembly for an RPZ
RTEmagicC_reduced-pressure-zone-ins_01.jpg.jpg
and here is for a main valve and PRV
water_shutoff_2.jpg
I would like to know what they are called because I have a PRV and main valve plumbing assembly (like in second picture) that I often need to refer to but not sure what to call it.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The first photo is a back flow preventer. They come in several variations. Some have to be above ground, but the better ones can be in a box below ground level. The are required for irrigation systems that share domestic water lines. The second photo is a pressure regulator valve, usually referred to as a PRV. Does this answer your question?

Flapper

Reaction score
The first photo is a back flow preventer. They come in several variations. Some have to be above ground, but the better ones can be in a box below ground level. The are required for irrigation systems that share domestic water lines. The second photo is a pressure regulator valve, usually referred to as a PRV. Does this answer your question?
No, I meant, what do you call the arrangement, where you have two pipes coming out of a ground or wall, connected together through devices, for the purpose of having the devices accessible. The pipes are underground or in a wall so they come out for the devices and go back in, in an arrangement/assembly of plumbing. I am wondering what these things are called, if they have a name.
Basically anything that comes out of a wall/ground and goes back in for the purpose of having devices (valves, backflow preventers, hose bibs, etc) for accessibility.
tM4WkrX.png

it seems that nobody understands me here -_-

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Some have to be above ground, but the better ones can be in a box below ground level.

I have NEVER heard of ANY being allowed below ground because the open "vent" usually has to be at least 12" above the ground.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
HJ, it is seldom, if ever, I can say you are wrong, but today I must. You say you have never seen a back flow below ground? Well for over 30 years I have one in my yard. It is a Wilkins 950XLT. Was inspected and approved my the city the first year and has been recertified annually ever since. Perhaps there is something I missed, be the first photo certainly appears to be that of a back flow device.

Flapper

Reaction score
HJ, it is seldom, if ever, I can say you are wrong, but today I must. You say you have never seen a back flow below ground? Well for over 30 years I have one in my yard. It is a Wilkins 950XLT. Was inspected and approved my the city the first year and has been recertified annually ever since. Perhaps there is something I missed, be the first photo certainly appears to be that of a back flow device.
The "Wilkins 950XLT" appears to be a double check valve, not an RPZ, so it doesn't have a vent.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks