What do I have? Black poly with aluminum tube liner.

Users who are viewing this thread

OscarG

Reaction score
A friend gave me about 300' of what I thought was 3/4" black poly pipe, like used to bring water from a well. When I picked it up it was a lot heavier and it turns out it has black poly (PEX ??) over aluminum tube. OD of poly is 0.88", aluminum tube OD is 0.75".

What do I have?

Think it will work to bring non-potable water to barn on my farm?

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If it were PEX, it would usually be Pex-Al-Pex with the aluminum sandwiched between two layers of PEX. Aluminum in direct contact with "non potable" water could deteriorate.

OscarG

Reaction score
Went back to look again for some markings... none. Took a hacksaw to it about 3' in from the end and it turns out it is "main line" TV cable for direct burial. The only water I'm going to run through this is as a picture.

Thanks for your thinking on this!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm guessing it is essentially an rf insulated, waterproof conduit, designed to carry cable coax line. Hard to tell without seeing it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks