What components would you recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I miss Billy

I didn't say conclusively that the fittings have experienced dezincification either but since the issue is known and that fitting fits the description, if it were me I would forgo the duct tape and have it checked out to be safe. This is an example of what happens when non plumbers get involved in subjects that they lack knowledge and experience in. Duct tape, silicone, mighty putty and sheet rock screws are not considered a permanent repair LOL

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Duct tape, silicone, mighty putty and sheet rock screws are not considered a permanent repair LOL
I cannot speak for the Gary and his duct tape (I think he was serious), but I'm pretty sure ditttohead meant his Leak Ender post in jest as I did the Mighty Putty. The reality of it though is that many would consider all three a viable repair.

As for screws, I've seen galvanized tanks that looked like porcupines with screws sticking out of them. Why throw away a big tank just because of a tiny pinhole?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Yeah and until I mentioned a leak and the powdery stuff probably being sulfate, it was dezincification and a catastrophy was in the making with tens of thousands of dollars of damage and the plumbers were jumping on replacing all the metal fittings in the PEX lines all over the house.

If the corrosion was due to condensation, the top of the tee would be sweating too, not just the one leg of the tee going off to the right. Plus, if you look close you can see a whitish horizontal line from the right hand tubing end left onto and across the brass; to run down onto the crimp ring below it.

The duct tape is only to keep water off the crimp ring so it wouldn't corrode more if the leak (or condensation) continued. Which I would bet it doesn't.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need to go back to the beginning of the thread. Nobody say definitively that it was dezincification only that it may possibly be and that it should be considered and investigated. The fact that you have not been in the field for 10 years or more and have little or no knowledge or experience in dealing with the issue in no way means that it does not exist. You can Google the problem and spend the next week or so reading about the causes and effects if you so desire. However enough property damage has occurred that to simply wave the hand of dismissal may very well prove to be catastrophic as you say. You may indeed be right in your assessment and I believe that I address your assessment way back in the beginning of the thread if you would take a moment to re-read before going off half cocked. And further, as it is not your property it is easy for you to dismiss the situation.

Here is a picture of a fitting failure due to dezincification. Look familiar? About 6 years ago a couple that has a 1/2 million dollar or more summer home on lake Winnipasaukee came back from wintering in Florida to find that a similar pex fitting had let go on the second floor of their summer home. Because they have no close neighbors the water may well have run full bore for weeks and in fact it was still running when they opened the front door. Pretty much the entire home was destroyed. All the hardwood floors, sheet rock, cabinets, most of the electrical in the ceilings, their furniture, electronics and appliances. The home had to be gutted and rebuilt all due to one little fitting failure. But hey, maybe it's just condensation.

Attachments

• zurn01sm.jpg
    zurn01sm.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 601
Last edited:

RWL

Reaction score
Its not so much the crusty stuff on the left that bothers me as the dis colorization on the left side of the fitting right in the middle. Still, it may just be a bad crimp or fitting but you really should cut it out and investigate because the ramification of letting it go could be serious.

The Pex is probably only 3 years old (pH 5.5), so I'm hoping that it isn't in imminant danger of going since it took 20+ years for the first pin holes to devlop in the copper pipe. That's not to diminish the significance of dezincification, since it will be dealt with when I finally figure out what I want to do with my conditioning system.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
IF those are Zurn fittings it doesn't take very long for failure to set in so keep a close eye on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks