What color is your toilet?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by jimbo, Sep 3, 2010.

1. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

A while back, made a comment about odd-color toilets, such as puce. Apparently some people must have thought I was drinking! What is puce? Well, it IS a color: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puce
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

I'll stick with white and chrome thanks...
  3. achutch

achutch New Member

The name "puce" sounds gagging to me!

All of my toilets, the two Toto Drakes at home and the two antiques at Camp are white.

achutch
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Some of mine are a "light green", possibly "mint green". If you want to be conservative, then you will go the "vanilla" route, but Kohler has always been on the cutting edge of colors.
  5. Peterson

Peterson New Member

I grew up in Pittsburgh, PA and there was a massive American Standard plant which supplied most of the homes in that region with bathroom fixtures. My neighborhood that I grew up in was buit in the 1930's-40's and neighbors had some odd, but cool retro bathroom colors. One neighbor had a maroon American Standard sink, toilet, and tub, and had maroon and grey tile on the walls and floors. Another neighbor had a lilac purple bathroom with American Standard fixtures, with lilac tile with an edging of black trim around it. I've seen combinations of yellow/grey, pink/brown, and green/black. Our bathroom had yellow and black tile, but had white fixtures.

When I was looking at homes to buy where I currently live right now, I came across a house that had a 1960's-1970's bathroom that had Kohler FLUORESCENT green fixtures, and checkered fluorescent green and raspberry tile on the walls. Even the realtor said it was hideous.
  6. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

My Dartmouth in the master bath is bone which matches the tub/shower/basin. My Drake in the basement bath is white. Seems to me that there was a period of time, perhaps the 1950's?, that pastel colors were the vogue. Pink, Green, Yellow, and Blue were quite common. Puce is a dark reddish brown. It may be a shade (pun intended) better than some of the previously mentioned colors, but not much as far as a toilet is concerned. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so perhaps we shouldn't pass judgment, but don't try to wish a Puce toilet on me.