What cause this? sewer roof cap eaten away

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by ronnieray, May 5, 2014.

1. ronnieray

ronnieray New Member

and what is the solution. This is the second sewer roof cap I have been through and in no time the outside is eaten away.

TIA for your help

153.jpg
  2. ankhseeker

ankhseeker Member

That cap looks plastic to me and also eaten away. If this is true, a call to a good pest control co might be in order.
  3. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

What happened to the Good Lead ones ?

I guess we are being protected.

Looks like the Critters are too.
  4. ronnieray

ronnieray New Member

Actually it is made out of tin. I can't imagine what critter would find that tasty.
  5. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

They don't chew it for the taste. They chew it cuz they think it will gain them entry.
  6. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I would be thinking of a trap. It is unlikely that the animal is a skunk or a dog.

That is not the spot for a dog-proof trap. Instead look at a Havahart etc. Canned cat food is good for raccoons, and peanuts are good for squirrels.

I would also shine a light down the hole to see if there is a visible carcass.
  7. ronnieray

ronnieray New Member

Thanks everyone for the help. The crazy thing is another cap on the roof is just fine with no signs of any chewing. Go figure ...
  8. SHR

SHR Member

The lead head vent roof jacks are still readily available from any reputable plumbing supplier. You can purchase a new lead head and pull off the whole top portion to replace your rotten top. Easy long lasting fix.
  9. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

If it is a dog, its name is Snoopy. The Skunk would be Pepe.

I have not seen a Dog on a roof lately.

A Skunk would be meeting Local code if it is using the Vent.
  10. Bill Shack

Bill Shack 30years plumbing 10years plumbing inspector

Rats, they come up the drain pipe and are looking for a home
  11. themp

themp Member

Looks like squirrels to me. They do this to my gutters all the time. They are sharpening their teeth I think. And they always pick the same location over and over...