What can you tell me from this picture? Water Softener

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by Bostonbull, May 26, 2014.

1. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

pix2.jpg I presume you bought the house. I suspect the old owner would be glad to tell you what he knows. He tried already, but that is all a blur now. This time take careful notes.

Regarding how strong to mix up the pot perm, I hope the old owner will tell you that.

Regarding the 3 controllers, I suggest going through each of those, and write down the settings. To get a manual on the controllers, they look like the Clack WS-1. http://awsaustin.com/documents/Clack WS1_manual.pdf is one source of a manual, but somebody may have more info.

In your photo, I have labeled some items. Don't forget to empty the vac. I wish I had one of those.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Was this the output of your RO system? I understand it is after your two softeners and your greensand (or whatever it is) filter F1. I am wondering why you don't show more sodium.

In the piping, I presume S1, S2, and F3 are in series. What order?
  3. Bostonbull

Bostonbull New Member

If I had a cooperative old owner, I wouldnt be here. :)

Trying to gain as much knowledge as I can and now kill the kids at the same time.

I have the controller manuals here. The timers all seem to be roughly one minute apart.....old owners said he just added blue bags of salt, and bought pot perm at home depot and dumped it in. Is it that easy? Doesnt seem like they were very up to speed on the system, LOL
  4. Bostonbull

Bostonbull New Member

No, this is output from a faucet that the RO is not hooked up to. Just all the softening equipment.

One of the brine tanks was EMPTY when i moved in, might have been when the home inspector took the samples too?
  5. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

That single filter housing on the ceiling of the basement may not be an RO. It may be nothing more than a carbon filter. Two softeners does not make sense, especially with a filter between them. The first one may be an anion resin 'filter' for nitrates etc., then the PP regenerated filter and then a softener.
  6. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

That would be my guess also.. You still in Florida Gary or have you headed back west?
  7. Plumbingnoob

Plumbingnoob Member

You have a good set up there and the equipment appears in good condition.