What are these called? Moen integral shut offs

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
http://images.meredith.com/diy/images/2009/02/p_SCP_008_04.jpg

What are those shutoffs called? I can't locate them, and mine are stuck. I'm rebuilding my shower and need to repair the faucet mechanism, and I'd rather use those as shutoffs than the main. I've heard they are the cause of leaks because the gaskets fail easily. Should I even bother replacing them if there are no leaks but they dont functions as shutoffs?

Thanks all!

moen_valve_w_shutoffs.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
They are called "integral shut offs" and if you call 1-800-BUY-MOEN they will probably send you replacement stem. As a practical matter, I and the majority of plumbers, would NEVER use them because we do not remove the large plate when we repair the faucet. Therefore, we would never see them and would not know they were there.

Reactions: SHR
Reaction score
Ah, thank you master plumber. Question: they are extremely old and locked up...should I just not bother with them at all? I am scared any tinkering will compromise their seal. I guess that leaves me with the shutoff in the basement, which also is old and I'd rather not use, but I've used in the past so it's not a big deal, heh. Thanks!

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I consider working main shut-off valves in a house to be just as important as working smoke detectors.
If you are not certain of your ability to shut off the main water and/or fuel supply to your house, it should be a priority to have this fixed ASAP.

Reaction score
It works, but I think it doesn't shut entirely. It must shut almost all the way, but in the lowest faucet in the house it comes out, albeit not in full force or anything.

Reaction score
I better pray the leak is anywhere other than the basement, lol. If I had some more money I'd definitely do it. I guess once I'm a little more comfortable with soldering I can have the city shut off our water at the street and then do it myself; I don't think it's anymore complicated than any other valve installation. Hopefully.

SHR

Reaction score
If they are not leaking around the body of the faucet and they do let water through to the faucet, leave them alone. I too never install a faucet with the integral stops due to their unreliability and limited usefulness even if they work correctly.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
moen_valve_w_shutoffs.jpg

I don't see too many Moen valves with the diverter like that. And on old galvanized piping too.
It's a quck and simple job to pull and replace the cartridge on that Moen.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks