What are these called? Moen integral shut offs

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by amateurplumber1, Jul 11, 2014.

1. amateurplumber1

amateurplumber1 Member

http://images.meredith.com/diy/images/2009/02/p_SCP_008_04.jpg

What are those shutoffs called? I can't locate them, and mine are stuck. I'm rebuilding my shower and need to repair the faucet mechanism, and I'd rather use those as shutoffs than the main. I've heard they are the cause of leaks because the gaskets fail easily. Should I even bother replacing them if there are no leaks but they dont functions as shutoffs?

Thanks all!

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2014
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

They are called "integral shut offs" and if you call 1-800-BUY-MOEN they will probably send you replacement stem. As a practical matter, I and the majority of plumbers, would NEVER use them because we do not remove the large plate when we repair the faucet. Therefore, we would never see them and would not know they were there.
    SHR likes this.
  3. amateurplumber1

amateurplumber1 Member

Ah, thank you master plumber. Question: they are extremely old and locked up...should I just not bother with them at all? I am scared any tinkering will compromise their seal. I guess that leaves me with the shutoff in the basement, which also is old and I'd rather not use, but I've used in the past so it's not a big deal, heh. Thanks!
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  4. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

I consider working main shut-off valves in a house to be just as important as working smoke detectors.
    If you are not certain of your ability to shut off the main water and/or fuel supply to your house, it should be a priority to have this fixed ASAP.
    Caduceus likes this.
  5. amateurplumber1

amateurplumber1 Member

It works, but I think it doesn't shut entirely. It must shut almost all the way, but in the lowest faucet in the house it comes out, albeit not in full force or anything.
  6. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Imagine what happens if something springs a leak and you cannot shut it off. The best time to have it fixed is now.
    Caduceus likes this.
  7. amateurplumber1

amateurplumber1 Member

I better pray the leak is anywhere other than the basement, lol. If I had some more money I'd definitely do it. I guess once I'm a little more comfortable with soldering I can have the city shut off our water at the street and then do it myself; I don't think it's anymore complicated than any other valve installation. Hopefully.
  8. SHR

SHR Member

If they are not leaking around the body of the faucet and they do let water through to the faucet, leave them alone. I too never install a faucet with the integral stops due to their unreliability and limited usefulness even if they work correctly.
  9. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

I don't see too many Moen valves with the diverter like that. And on old galvanized piping too.
    It's a quck and simple job to pull and replace the cartridge on that Moen.