What are the square cutouts in a bathroom sink drain for?

Users who are viewing this thread

John H. Power

Reaction score
It obvious I'm a non-plumber to ask a question like this:D

I just replaced my bathroom faucet and am in the process of also replacing the pop-up drain. I noticed that the drain tube that connects to the pipe below has several square-shaped cut-outs just above the threads that accept the nut that secures the drain pipe to the sink.

Why isn't it just a solid tube?

Also, I am still getting occasional water seeping out of the base of the new faucet. I used the gasket that came with the faucet but no silicone or putty. Does this mean there is a cylinder problem in the handles of the new faucet?

Thanks

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
They are where the water from the sink overflow goes. Were'd you get the faucet from. As in who makes it?

John H. Power

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. It is an Aquasource model F5120000NP. It was on sale at Lowes. A new faucet shouldn't have defective cylinders.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
No it shouldn't but most of that stuff comes from China so.................

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If it were a "solid tube", the sink's overflow would not work, and you would have the slow drainage that "vessel sink" owners complain about. There are many places that the water could come from, but a loose aerator is the most likely one on a new faucet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks