What are the 2 small holes at the top of my shower pan for?

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by mcjurich, Jun 7, 2009.

1. mcjurich

mcjurich New Member

Hi,

I just moved into a new townhouse with a "fiberglass?" shower pan. On either side of the shower doors at the top of the shower pan where the tile meets the fiberglass, there is a hole that looks like some kind of pre-molded drainage hole or weep hole. What are these for and should I leave them open? It seems that water could easily get into the wall cavity from showering or cleaning the shower?

Thanks!
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

There's a lip behind the shower pan that the tile fits over. Water can get behind the tile, it then falls over the lip, and then it needs a way to drain out. My guess is to leave them alone. If you can identify the brand, you might be able to find the installation instructions to verify.
  3. edwardh1

edwardh1 Member

maybe it is a screw hole, to attach the shower pan?
  4. Basement_Lurker

Basement_Lurker One who lurks

Post a picture if possible. I've never seen weep holes in a preformed pan before.