what are fittings made from?

Users who are viewing this thread

mattman

Reaction score
So I am trying to machine my own manifolds for a drain recovery heat exchanger. What grades of copper or brass can I use for potable water and will solder nicely? I think cast brass fittings are usually red brass (C230?), which seems impossible to find in square stock. Are any fittings C360 (very readily available)? How about copper? Will C182 or C145 work? Thoughts?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If it is potable water, you can only use the lead free brass. I have been told it does not machine well. I don't know how well it solders.

mattman

Reaction score
C360 Brass has about 3% lead, C182 copper has about .05%. C145 copper however only has small amounts of tellurium and phosphorus. Are either of these problematic?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
This is the law:
After January 1, 2010, the maximum allowable lead content in "lead-free" pipes, pipe or plumbing fittings, fixtures, solder, or flux intended to convey or dispense water for human consumption through drinking or cooking is as follows:
0.2 percent lead in solder and flux;
0.25 percent lead in wetted surfaces of pipes, pipe fittings, plumbing fittings and fixtures, as determined by a weighted average.

Although this all stems from FEDERAL regulations, it is in legal effect right now only in CA and VT. The rest of the country becomes mandatory I think in 2014.

Copper is not a problem....it's the brass in faucets and fittings that is affected.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I have a pile of Stainless steel Govt. surplus heat exchangers. Perhaps 24" deep with several loops of 1/2 or 3/8" tubing. Bolt on flange. I think the Gov. paid about 2500$ for each. If you are interested I can post a photo or PM me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks