• Too deep?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

JoeF

Mostly a do it yourselfer
Reaction score
I finally got joined on this forum! You folks seem to be a wealth of information and can hopefully shed some light on my dilemma! Long story short, property sat for a couple years water unused. Been working on it for a while now and water pressure is low and volume not very good. Decided to try and fix it! There are many sand points in the area that produce very well, (no pun intended). In fact there are 4 houses with shallow wells within a couple hundred feet of me. Well are in the 30' depth range and have worked for many years. Any way back to how I got here. Drove a new sand point with two stacked points and 25' of pipe. This produced some water but not much volume or pressure, to the point the demand boiler would stop heating water due to lack or pressure differential.

So I pulled the point out to get a look at it. Came out very hard!! The point was partially plugged with slurry looking sediment in the bottom point. Cleaned it up and started driving it back down with the single sand point and 1 1/4" pipe. I should mention there is water at 10' so my static level is 10' this is where it gets confusing to me! I drove down 20' and 3' point and could not prime the pump, that was a week ago. I have continued adding 5' sections of pipe and driving them down with a 25# slide hammer we made many years ago just for this. Soil very sandy, near a lake currently I am down to 38' with the point and the pipe will not take much water on and drain itself down, it drains slowly and that explains why it will also not hold a prime. Last night it would prime and slowly build pressure, specs were 30 - 50 set for the pump and it was pulling 27" of vacuum. It would take 15 - 20 minutes to build from 28 to 50#'s, way to long of course. Pump is Flotech 3/4 HP cast iron jet pump on a flotech 30 gallon? pressure tank set at 28# using 1 1/4" galvanized water pipe with drive couplers. One way valve is on the horizontal side of a T going into the pump nozzle.

Big question, why am I having to drive so deep and not getting good volume/pressure? The original sand point was down about 25' and is of unknown age.

Joe.f

Reaction score
Ok I'm at 42' of pipe and point, will not take what my neighbors garden hose puts out. Could my point be plugged? If so how can I unplug it? Compressed air? I have read that a pump will only take the same amount of water it will put out, or vise versa? It will never keep up with the pump if it will not drain off a garden hose faster.
I'm am lost as to how to proceed, this is suppose to be my primary residence and it is currently unlivable! Winter is coming fast and a deep well is simply not in the budget right now or in the near future. We have lived on sand points in this area for the last 40 years that I have been around. I have replaced a few points blown a couple out but never have I seen this?

JoeF

Mostly a do it yourselfer
Reaction score
Ripped it all out and started over! Just want to get back to what I had. So cleaned up two sand points and connected them put on a 5' section of pipe and dropped it in the hole added the next 5' section and had to start pounding already! It seems I am all ready into the soupy slurry like substance. I tried running water from the neighbors hose and the pipe filled up and drained slowly. I am only at 21' and pounding already? This is completely baffling to me? I have more bizarre details if anyone thinks they might help??!!???

Any input, feedback or questions would be greatly appreciated!

Joe

Joe.f

Reaction score
Ok so I am thinking I will try this. Put a 3" PVC pipe down about 15 - 20' to get me past the slurry that seems to be plugging my points up and thru the layer of hard substance. I am thinking the water is below the semi hard shelf at about 18' and a lot of wet sand above it. Then I will drop my point down the hole and drive it to about 26' (20' pipe and two 3' points). At another suggestion I am going to soap up the point with some naphtha soap to maybe help the plugging process. If this does not work...... Well...... Deep subject?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks