What A/C in new construction?

Users who are viewing this thread

mc_1_2_3

Reaction score
Hello, I am currently building a new house. Ranch style, 1650 sq ft, radiant floor heat in basement and main floor. I plan to at least install the duct work for central A/C while I am roughing the house in, get it under the insulation in the attic. I am looking for suggestions on what type of system to install. I live in Western Pennsylvania, so the cooling season isn't too long, but it will be 90 today and for the next few days. When it is 90 here, it is HUMID. Some have suggested that the high flow, small diameter duct is the best way to go. Sure would make installation easier. I would like to place the openings in the ceiling.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Mark

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A/C ducts in the ceiling is more comfortable than trying to push cold air up from the lower wall, or floor, a common problem when the system is designed for heat with a/c as an afterthought. Using a high-speed, small outlet system still requires a decent sized main trunk, so except for the smaller outlets (which are nice and easier to hide), I'm not sure it buys you all that much. Either, properly sized, would work.

Alleycat

Reaction score
another thing to think about - where you locate the condenser. Ours is on the back patio and when the AC is on it's LOUD, making sitting on the patio pretty unpleasant (of course, if the AC is on it usually means sitting outside is unpleasant anyway, but....)

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
Water to water ground coupled heat pump. An air to water exchanger for cooling. Replaces heating and cooling systems. Check prices (quite high) and decide if electricity at the COP of the unit is likely to be cheaper now and in the future. If you can answer what energy costs will be in the future (say tomorrow or next week), let me know. I will get into energy futures (which I have a nagging suspicion is responsible for at least some of the excessive cost).

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
One possibility to consider...is what is called ductless mini-split. Check websites for Mitsubishi, Friedriech, and LG. A condensing unit goes outside and connects to a small wall mounted air handler inside. No ductwork. You can get multi-zone units, meaning one outdoor unit supports 2 to 4 indoor wall units. All you have to run is the copper line sets.

This type system may be appropriate for you. They also come in heat pump versions, so in the spring and fall, you could take advantage of that feature instead of firing up the boiler.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many of the split systems come with precharged lines that connectd similar to air hoses, so installation is pretty easy. It's nice to be able to zone things, and this is one of the easiest ways to do it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks