WH lifetimes

Users who are viewing this thread

Gusherb94

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
The water heater in our 3 unit apartment building is 13 years old, still going well. 50 gallon State.

Well after 13 years and being used very heavily the State water heater finally died on Tuesday........It sprung a nice leak in the flue, put out the pilot, and left a nice puddle in the basement.
Of course being it's an apartment building we can't be out of hot water for long so the heater was replaced, and no a pro was not called (even though I would have preferred that myself as not to have the day before thanksgiving spent on that....) but I and my dad got the new Bradford White 50 gallon high recovery heater in and working, it needed a bit of repiping to make it all work and the flue right off the water heater was replaced since it was all rusted out.
But anyway old one lasted 13 years, easily ran out of hot water. New one is same tank size but high recovery, and it should hopefully never or rarely run out.

Gusherb94

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Friday I went to the building, to the apartment that's our's, and tested the new water heater's capabilities....
So what I did was first started the dishwasher, then took a 20 minute hot shower. By then water heater temp was down to about 110 by the time I turned off the shower (thermostat set to 140), dishwasher filled and emptied a few times during that time as part of it's normal cycle.
Then to top it off I decided to run the top load washer at max water level on hot with warm rinse, about 5 minutes after the shower. hot water temperature hovered at about 110 during the whole time it filled and once it stopped filling the heater caught up again...fast.

So overall the new water heater does about what I expected, it supplies plenty of hot water for intense hot water use between tenants and after some long use hot water runs down but not out.... Just what I wanted, and once hot water use susbides a little the tank catches up more than enough for another shower or the rinse cycle of the washer, fast.

So overall I'm very happy with the hot water supply now. Next up in who knows when time will be the rusted through 1" water main in the basement...

JMMJR

Reaction score
This thread was a very entertaining and educational read.

I did a drain/flush/refill on my 80-gallon Bradford White electric today. It's only 4 years-old. It blew the lower element last year, so I had to drain it. I replaced both of the cheap elements that were in it with nice low-watt-density ones. I drained it and took a look at the elements. They had minimal buildup and I got minimal deposits out of the tank as well. I'm going to drain it every year from now on.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks