Wet venting question

Users who are viewing this thread

ShaunS

Reaction score
I was advised to post over here from the John Bridge forums. I had a plumber replace and relocate my cast iron shower and toilet drains in my slab foundation. Basically the toilet and shower vent swapped locations +/- 12". When I was posting pictures over on John Bridge, they suggested that perhaps the venting was done incorrectly. So here are a few pictures of the work before the concrete patch and after. I have two concerns in increasing severity, a) is it up to code? and b) is it going to work well or is it going to give me problems.
QvHEp99.jpg

WaNMHSA.jpg

nZttEQJ.jpg

mFB5iLe.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Why were the toilet opening and the shower trap put directly underneath where they had to go, instead of using offsets? Especially that offset toilet flange which was a TERRIBLE idea.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Especially when dealing with new construction where there are no obstructions...it's always best to just have the riser run vertical without any offsets, or angled connections. Extra joints, harder to fix a joint, potential leak points, and with a toilet, a potential clog. HJ has been doing plumbing for many decades. Trust him.

ShaunS

Reaction score
Got it. My main concerns still stand though...is it up to code and will it work well? I need to know if it's worth fighting the plumber to change anything considering the concrete has gone in and cured.

MKS

Reaction score
Where is the main drain that the toilet and lav/shower drain into? Based on the first picture.
Offsets can be a clog point I believe.

MKS

Reaction score
OK so the lav and shower come together run towards the toilet the turn into a y in the toilet line and run to the red arrow?
Have a look at this.
upc_wet_venting_bathrooms.jpg

MKS

Reaction score
I think your situation is similar to the 3/4 sketch.
If this needed to be cleaned with a snake it would be difficult.
A lot of things work if the drains run downhill.
I can not say it would meet code or be good.
If it is similar to the previous installation and it worked you will probably be OK.
Can't hurt to discuss this with the plumber.
I'm sure one of the qualified people here will give you an opinion.

ShaunS

Reaction score
It is quite different from the previous installation due to the toilet and shower being swapped. Also, there is another bathroom on the opposite side of the wall, so it's some combination of the 3/4 and the back-to-back bathrooms.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks