Wet Vent vs. Dry Vent (and siphoning)

Users who are viewing this thread

Jb9

Reaction score
Hello,

I know this is a contentious topic, but I am working through a 2-story design in which I can wet vent a tub and toilet (toilet lowest on the stack) or I could add a dry vent for each fixture. I will post some jpgs as I redraw my plans but I wanted to ask a few questions of the pros with more experience:

-Does siphoning occur when waste from a toilet passes by another fixture's entry point in the stack?
-Does siphoning occur less in designs where there is more horizontal branching and things don't move as violently?
-Can avoiding a modern high power toilet resolve this possibility? Is that a bad choice to consider?
-Some folks don't like to wet vent lavs to toilets due to siphoning risk. Thoughts?

I will post a couple side by side jpgs in a bit after I redraw.

Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
dwv_b1.jpg

A tub or lav over the toilet is fine. They are wet vented using 2" pipe.
You can't run a toilet past a lav or tub though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks