Wet Subflooring

Users who are viewing this thread

ak99588

Reaction score
IMG_9083.jpg

We removed our upstairs toilet after discovering that it leaked and found that the sub-flooring and plywood all around the toilet were wet. I will be removing most of the plywood and replacing it, but I am wondering about the moisture that seeped under the corner walls. I will remove plywood as close to the walls as possible, but cannot remove it under the walls. I checked the other side of one wall and no sign of moisture, so it probably stopped somewhere under the wall.

What can I do about this? I heard about anti-mold spray or wash, if I apply that to the plywood will it seep in and protect from mold growth? Should I seal the old plywood with primer? Should I apply silicone at the bottom of the walls in case of future leaks? Other suggestions?

Thanks!
Jeff

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The one thing that prevents mold growth is DRY. Use a blower and heater to let the area dry out. Have you figured out how you will support that small piece of plywood? I can't see the screw or nail pattern, so I don't know which way your joists run. Be prepared to install some blocking.

S.Austin

Reaction score
jimbo is right. im a carpenter and have seen your situation many times myself. at least you didnt't have to deal with tile also; looks like linoleum was on subfloor. get the blocking ready! it really isn't a hard fix at all. just from looking at your picture i dont think you need to remove the subfloor at all. in all my fixes the sections of subfloor were completely rotted through(tile can hide that damage for years till your toilet falls through!) just get a big fan in the room and leave it on till its dry,install your flooring, reseat your toilet! seriously i wouldn't remove that subfloor unless you have to get to some plumbing problem and your crawlspace is too tight. many homeowners think their problem is alot worse than it actually is. when you see similar problems year after year you will run into those nightmare remodels. your in good shape from what i can see carpentry wise anyway. good luck

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you take something and poke at the wood (screwdriver, awl, etc), if it is solid and the plies are intact (the glue hasn't let go and the plies are no longer attached to each other), all you need to do is let it dry out. Only if the wood is all punky or the ply has failed, does it need to be replaced. Let it dry out before you cover it back up. This goes for the walls and studs as well. If they're not rotten, just let them dry out.

Mold takes three things: moisture, food (the wood in this case), and spores. Once it dries out, all should be well.

ak99588

Reaction score
Unfortunately I already made my cuts into the plywood before posting this so I am committed. However, I will remove a smaller area than I originally planned since it sounds like the wood is not as bad as I thought. I will support the new plywood using 2x4s fastened into the floor joists. They are I joists, so can I fasten boards to them without hurting the integrity of the joist? The photo here shows the view from below so you can see the joists. In the first post's photo, the joists run parallel to the edge of the sink cabinet.IMG_9071.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks