Wet carpet

Users who are viewing this thread

Dallas

Reaction score
I noticed a wet spot on the carpet where the bathroom tile meets the carpet. The shower stall is about three feet( of tile) away.I couldn't determine the problem exactly,the stain does however seem to line up with the drain in the shower stall. I took the shower stall drain cover off and noticed a pretty good quantity of sludge in the entry to the drain. I wiped all of it out and the drain seems to work fine.It actually seemed fine before I opened it.
Could the drain by the source of the wet carpet? The drain did not seem totally clogged. Just a bunch of sludge under the cover.
It must have been going on for awhile to make it the three feet to the carpet. I
I do not have access to the space under the house, so all troubleshooting is from above.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
How is the shower constructed? Is it a manufactured pan, a tiled one, or actually a tub/shower? There are all sorts of correct ways to build a shower, but many more ways to mess up. A picture may help, but sometimes, you have to start tearing things apart to locate a leak. There should be water visible down the drain - that would be the p-trap, which prevents sewer gas from coming back into the house. No amount of sludge there should cause a leak, although it could slow down the drain and if really bad allow it to back up. Unless it backed up over the curb, it should not leak. A properly built shower should be leak tested with water up to nearly the top of the curb prior to laying the tile down...it should not leak any over a 24-hour period. You can perform this test after it is built, if you wish. It is easier if you rent or buy a drain plug for the shower drain, but you can use a long party balloon. You need the plug to extend a ways to ensure that the weep holes that are below the top surface are plugged, too. If you use a balloon, buy a few, since you may pop it in the process. Stick it down in the hole, and blow it up. Not the easiest thing to do while nearly standing on your head! Then, fill the pan with water, mark the level, then let it sit. It should NOT drop in level overnight.

Dallas

Reaction score
Is this spot constantly wet, or just after someone uses the shower?

I just noticed it for the first time a couple of days ago.It may have been after a shower. Since the original installation was 5 years ago and has been dry until this week, something seems to have occurred? The drain seems like the only source? Of course there is a sink drain as well.
It is centered on the door opening and I do not know of any other possible source for the wetness. It has been raining quite a bit,but this is in a spot that would mininimize the potential of outside water causing the wetness.
It does not seem to be drying out, very quickly anyway? Thanks

Dallas

Reaction score
How is the shower constructed? Is it a manufactured pan, a tiled one, or actually a tub/shower? There are all sorts of correct ways to build a shower, but many more ways to mess up. A picture may help, but sometimes, you have to start tearing things apart to locate a leak. There should be water visible down the drain - that would be the p-trap, which prevents sewer gas from coming back into the house. No amount of sludge there should cause a leak, although it could slow down the drain and if really bad allow it to back up. Unless it backed up over the curb, it should not leak. A properly built shower should be leak tested with water up to nearly the top of the curb prior to laying the tile down...it should not leak any over a 24-hour period. You can perform this test after it is built, if you wish. It is easier if you rent or buy a drain plug for the shower drain, but you can use a long party balloon. You need the plug to extend a ways to ensure that the weep holes that are below the top surface are plugged, too. If you use a balloon, buy a few, since you may pop it in the process. Stick it down in the hole, and blow it up. Not the easiest thing to do while nearly standing on your head! Then, fill the pan with water, mark the level, then let it sit. It should NOT drop in level overnight.

It is a prebuilt fiberglas stall. Not sure of the brand. Yes I can see the water at the trap.There is an 1.5 drain pipe.It is surrounded by some sort of seal. I think there is a small space between the pipe and the seal? I will look closer tonight.
There are no bad smells I would say. The carpet may smell abit "smeechy" ?. Like it may have been in a drain. Not sure though
I suppose I could stop using the shower and the sink for a few days and see if things dry up and then try one at a time to see if things get wet again? Before I start digging deeper?

Dallas

Reaction score
The water is staying in the shower stall trap. So it is not leaking. The carpet is pretty dry now. I have not used the shower for 24 hours or so.
I may try the balloon tip mentioned. To see if any water is getting past the seal.
I will let you know how things work out.Thanks

Dallas

Reaction score

Where can I buy or rent a Drain plug? How much are they? Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A plumbing supply house would have a drain test plug, not sure where you could rent one, but you could call around. A balloon works, but is a little tricky to get in place.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks