Western Potteries vs Toto or Kohler?

Users who are viewing this thread

JennyChen

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm buying a new house and the builder uses Western Potteries in all their homes: my contract says the install they Western Potteries Aris Ovalle #B822 bowl with T5ULF-W tank.

Home - Western pottery

I have no idea about this brand and if this model is any good. I want a toilet the performs as well as the Toto Drake, since that's what everyone on this forum seems to rave about. I'm all about the perfect flush and a quiet toilet.

Would it be worth upgrading from the builder model? I'm thinking either Toto or Kohler if Western Potteries aren't up to par.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have never heard of this brand, so I can not dis it. However, the Gold Standard for toilets is Toto. Why take a chance with an unknown. In addition, builder use the cheapest toilets they can obtain. They are interested in keeping the selling price of the house as low as possible, but their profit margin as high as possible. In the US, we refer to these toilets as "builder grade". Many of the pro plumbers on this forum keep quite busy replacing these inferior toilets. I would suggest going with the proven best even if it costs more to begin with.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Western Potteries is a "tract" line, used in housing developments. It "works" but it is not one that I would recommend to my customers.

western-b832-t8-hp-02.jpg

JennyChen

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice :) Now my question is: if the Toto Drake or Drake II are the same toilet? Or is there a comparable model in Kohler or AS, that might be more economical than the Drake?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I avoid Kohler because their waterways have too many "sharp" turns in them. I also seldom install Toto. My real preference is a Vitra, but I really do not have problems with any brand my supply house carries.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The big difference in the Drake and the Drake II is the way the bowl is washed...the Drake II swirls around the bowl from two outlets near the rim, and the Drake rains down from holes under the rim. They both work, but the bowl wash on the II types (they call it cyclone wash) works better. There are some videos on this site to show the differences.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks