Wellpoint Keeps Clogging

Users who are viewing this thread

Powertech

Reaction score
Website
www.powertechperformance.com
Purchased a new to me home 2 years ago and the irrigation system was disconnected from the well pump and attached to city water. After the first few $300+ water bills I'm wanting to use the well we have.

I have called several well drilling companies in my area and all were of no help at all, most wanting to drill a new deep well insisting mine was dry (all companies insisted that I have a shallow well, not a one checked). After a few ridiculous (5k) quotes and no real way to prove my well was dry I decided to check everything out myself.

I found one well point which happens to be cased in 4" metal pipe with a split well cap sealing it off. There is 1.5" schedule 200 PVC dropped down into the well which runs directly to an inline check valve right before the brand new Berkley 1.5HP centrifugal irrigation pump I just finished installing. There is a brand new 30" stainless steel mesh well point installed on the end of the intake drop.

Here is the kicker, after all of this I measured the well that I was told is a shallow well that ran dry years ago. I have water 10' below my grass, my well inlet supply pipe is 32' into the metal casing and the total depth of the well is 132' (obviously not a shallow well that is dry).

The issue I'm having is the new stainless steel well point screen keep clogging with a concrete looking substance that turn black when you wipe it which impedes flow after the system runs for a bit.

Should I extend the intake pipe lower into the well and remove the 30" wellpoint and replace it with a larger orifice foot valve to prevent clogging? I feel like I almost have this issue resolved on my own so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you everyone,

Joe

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Filters and screens can continue to be a problem. It would be best to try and clean the well. Run a pipe to the bottom with an open end, and hook up a large air compressor. Water and debris will come flying out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks