Well-X-Trol WX-102 Pressure tank issue!?? Need confirmation

Users who are viewing this thread

Bassett72

Reaction score
From everything I have read, I think my 8 year old tank is shot. I believe there is a leak in the bladder, but I want to run it by you folks to confirm my suspicions. I appreciate any input/advice you can provide. Thanks, and now on to the story...

For the last 3 weeks we have been seeing very noticeable surges in our water pressure. Going very low, not quite stopping, but then surging back up. It happens everywhere; the shower, flushing a toilet, running the bathroom faucet.

So, I finally had some time to do some research on what might be the issue. From that, I turned off the pump, drained the pressure tank, and checked the pressure on the tank. The factory setting is 18 PSI. I had 53 PSI. I thought that was a bit odd, so I shook (as much as possible with an in-line tank) and heard water sloshing around. I then pressed the pin on the schrader valve and a little water sprayed out along with the air. All this leads me to believe that the bladder has a leak in it.

Is that correct?

IF that is the case, it appears replacing the tank is as easy as unscrewing it and installing the new one. Is that a correct assumption? I'm fairly handy with a wrench, but I will admit I have no expertise in well systems.

Thanks again for your help...

Last edited:

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Before you purchase a new tank I'd recommend that you consider installing a Pside-Kick http://www.cyclestopvalves.com/pdf/psidekick-brochure.pdf. It's a Cycle Stop Valve with a small Wel-X-Trol tank (all that is required when using a cycle stop valve). A cycle stop valve will keep your pump from cycling and give you city like pressure. Call them and they will recommend a supplier in your area. It's simple to easy to install.

Bassett72

Reaction score
THis looks like a constant pressure system. I believe that is what I already have.

Either way, do people recommend the Wel-X-Trol brand over all others?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks