Well-X-Trol WX-102 Pressure tank issue!?? Need confirmation

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Bassett72, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Bassett72

Bassett72 New Member

From everything I have read, I think my 8 year old tank is shot. I believe there is a leak in the bladder, but I want to run it by you folks to confirm my suspicions. I appreciate any input/advice you can provide. Thanks, and now on to the story...

For the last 3 weeks we have been seeing very noticeable surges in our water pressure. Going very low, not quite stopping, but then surging back up. It happens everywhere; the shower, flushing a toilet, running the bathroom faucet.

So, I finally had some time to do some research on what might be the issue. From that, I turned off the pump, drained the pressure tank, and checked the pressure on the tank. The factory setting is 18 PSI. I had 53 PSI. I thought that was a bit odd, so I shook (as much as possible with an in-line tank) and heard water sloshing around. I then pressed the pin on the schrader valve and a little water sprayed out along with the air. All this leads me to believe that the bladder has a leak in it.

Is that correct?

IF that is the case, it appears replacing the tank is as easy as unscrewing it and installing the new one. Is that a correct assumption? I'm fairly handy with a wrench, but I will admit I have no expertise in well systems.

Thanks again for your help...
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Ja, your bladder is shot. Degree of difficulty depends on how it's plumbed.
  3. masterpumpman

masterpumpman New Member

Before you purchase a new tank I'd recommend that you consider installing a Pside-Kick http://www.cyclestopvalves.com/pdf/psidekick-brochure.pdf. It's a Cycle Stop Valve with a small Wel-X-Trol tank (all that is required when using a cycle stop valve). A cycle stop valve will keep your pump from cycling and give you city like pressure. Call them and they will recommend a supplier in your area. It's simple to easy to install.
  4. Bassett72

Bassett72 New Member

THis looks like a constant pressure system. I believe that is what I already have.

Either way, do people recommend the Wel-X-Trol brand over all others?
  5. masterpumpman

masterpumpman New Member

Not all, but I do!