Well-X-Trol worth the price ?

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Arky217, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Arky217

Arky217 New Member

I can buy a 44 gal Amtrol Well-X-Trol tank for $429.
    Amtrol also makes the Water Worker brand; I can buy a 44 gal Water Worker for $229.
    Being that both are made by the same company, is the Well-X-Trol really worth the extra $200 ?
    Water Worker warranty = 5 years, Well-X-Trol = 7 years; but since the Well-X-Trol
    tank is nearly twice the price, will it really last longer than two of the Water Worker tanks ?

Arky
  2. craigpump

craigpump Member

Spend the extra money.

We see Well X Trol tanks last 20+ years

The difference is in the diaphragm, the Well X Troll is rated for 150psi
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  3. sc_hoaty

sc_hoaty New Member

My Well X Trol is about 30 - I've owned it the last 26. I need to add air every 5-7 years.
  4. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

The quality of the bladder in the tank is not nearly as important if you eliminate most of the pump cycling. When the pump cycles on and off, the bladder bends back and forth like bending a wire until it breaks. Cycle the pump 100 times per day and you need 5 times as good of a tank than if you use a CSV and only cycle the pump 20 times per day.
  5. sc_hoaty

sc_hoaty New Member

When my Well X Trol finally dies, I will look into a CSV. At the moment, the Well X Trol is on its way to outliving me!
  6. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

I have a Well X that was installed in "82". Still has all but 5 PSI of the original air. But it has worked with a CSV since "94". So not really a good test because it only had 12 years of regular cycling on the bladder before the CSV was installed.
  7. craigpump

craigpump Member

Valveman, I think you have gotten your money's worth out of that tank.
  8. sc_hoaty

sc_hoaty New Member

Go ahead and add some "new" air to it. It deserves a treat after all those years of faithful service!