well water treatment system

Users who are viewing this thread

Rcauley

Reaction score
I'm going to install a water treatment system to treat the well water coming into the house. I have tested my water coming into the house and confirmed the following:
Iron 1 ppm
Hardness 20-25 GPG
PH 7.5
4 users of water in the house.

I have no sulfur or copper in my water. I was thinking about the Fleck 5600SXT metered 64,000 grain system.
It was recommended that every third bag of salt added to the brine be the iron salt treatment pellets.

Does anyone have any advice as to whether this system is adequate to treat my well water?

Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
Get the Hach 5B test to test your hardness.

See http://www.qualitywaterassociates.com/sizing.php --maybe you already did.

Maybe let every bag be Morton iron salt pellets. You can treat with Super Iron Out periodically if necessary. Any more than that, and you should consider a backwashing iron+ etc filter at the front end. In locating your softener, you might leave room in case you decide to add a backwashing filter in front of the softener later. I think I would at least put a sediment filter now. Perhaps one or two 20x4.5 Pentek Big Blue housings. For the first or only filter, I would consider the Pentek PENTEK-DGD-5005-20 dual gradient filter 50-5 micron filter as a starting point. If you later got a backwashing filter, that would go first.

Last edited:

Rcauley

Reaction score
Get the Hach 5B test to test your hardness.

See http://www.qualitywaterassociates.com/sizing.php --maybe you already did.

Maybe let every bag be Morton iron salt pellets. You can treat with Super Iron Out periodically if necessary. Any more than that, and you should consider a backwashing iron+ etc filter at the front end. In locating your softener, you might leave room in case you decide to add a backwashing filter in front of the softener later. I think I would at least put a sediment filter now. Perhaps one or two 20x4.5 Pentek Big Blue housings. For the first or only filter, I would consider the Pentek PENTEK-DGD-5005-20 dual gradient filter 50-5 micron filter as a starting point. If you later got a backwashing filter, that would go first.

Thanks this is very helpful. I might move up to the 80,ooo grain system. I have spin down mesh filter on the line which I clean once a week with Super iron out. I have a greensand plus fleck 6700 now but I didn't realize until recently that the iron used to clean the spin down filter was causing the greensand plus to become uncharged. It is to painful to try and recharge with perm plus since the greensand back flushes and recharges with an aerator.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks