well water sediment filter question

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by bronzemaxell, Jul 26, 2010.

1. bronzemaxell

bronzemaxell New Member

i went to lowes and saw they have the whole house whirlpool brand sediment filter with 1" thread, so i bought one, and to try.

is it a good idea to put a sediment filter before or after the pressure tank (120 gallon)?

i am also trying to install the Calcite filter with 2510sxt control valve and water softner with 2510 sxt control valve. does the AN filter or water softner also have built-in sediment filter?

it is the first time i've seen how the well water looks like through the clear plastic sediment filter housing after pump from well. initially very muddy, like coffee, then it clears up.

my concern is after a couple time of pumping, the sediment filter is basically brown, and i can see sand being collected in the bottom of the filter housing, and i am afraid the filter will restrict the flow of water from pump, and putting extra work load on the pump.

[​IMG]
  2. Doherty Plumbing

Doherty Plumbing Journeyman & Gas Fitter

I would probably install it after the pressure tank.
  3. bronzemaxell

bronzemaxell New Member

ok, thanks for your advice
    i am thinking to installing a chemsorb sediment filter with auto backwash 2510 control timer after my pressure tank, between the calcite filter and water softner.