Well water pump tripping circuit breaker

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by KLayd, Jun 7, 2010.

1. KLayd

KLayd New Member

Over the last 2 days our breaker for the Well water pump has tripped about a half dozen times, we've only lived in this house for less then a year. After calling the number listed on the water tank the company informed my that I might need a new pump. He said according to the history on the well the job would run close to 4k. He said the well was pretty deep (about 200 ft) and the pump was about 2 HP. Does this figure sound like its in the ballpark for a job like this? Not only am I a fist time home owner, but I've also never had experience with well water.

thanks,
    Keith
  2. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

A 2 HP pump and motor will run from $900 to $1300. If you replace the pipe and wire, the 4K might not be far off. Get an itemized list. Make sure what you are getting for the money.
  3. KLayd

KLayd New Member

update

Found out the well is 600 feet deep and the wiring alone will be about 1700. So job is now est at 5400. Old pump was 12 years old, so its right at the avg life span. Hopefully I'm not dropping 5g for a longer time then 12 years this time.
  4. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

Actually 7 years is the average life of a submersible pump. It is usually the number of times the pump cycles on and off that determines how long it will last. Sand can wear out a pump, or lightning can hit the motor but, 7 years of cycling is all it is designed to last. The fewer times the pump cycles, the longer it will last. You can also get the pump man to find out a cause of failure. Then you know what to try and prevent. If it didn't run dry, pump sand, or have electrical problems, limiting the cycling is the best way to increase longevity.
  5. KLayd

KLayd New Member

Thank you, I will ask for the cause of failure.