well water problems

Users who are viewing this thread

b00steodone

Reaction score
I just bought a house about 2 months ago and over the past couple of weeks I began to have some problems with the water.
The pump is taking a really long time to get up to pressure. While taking a shower I have normal pressure for the first few minutes, then it dies down to barley any pressure. I would have to shut the water off and let the sure build up to get pressure again. This not only happens with the shower, but if I run the tap long enough it will do the same thing.
I have an inline filter. I tried bypassing it but it still does the same thing.
-The pump makes a weird noise as if its starving for water and the pressure gauge jumps up and down as its filling the tank.
-I took the cover off the well and looked in. the water level is level with the ground (not sure if this is normal).

the pump does kick on and off at the right pressures, it just takes a long time to reach the pressures.

any help would be appreciated

Joey

Reach4

Reaction score
Your well could be running out of water, and it could be that your pump does not pump at a high enough rate to keep up.

If it is the pump, you might consider lowering your pressure switch to 30-50 PSI instead of 40-60 PSI.

You could also switch to a low flow shower head. That would be the cheap fast solution.

If you post more about your well, somebody might have some better ideas for you. Depth of the well. Type of pump. HP and rated GPM of the pump. How far down the water level is below ground.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
-I took the cover off the well and looked in. the water level is level with the ground (not sure if this is normal).

Your well could be running out of water, and it could be that your pump does not pump at a high enough rate to keep up.
...How far down the water level is below ground.
It doesn't sound like the well is dry.

The noise and jumping could be the pump cavitating due to a partially plugged footvalve. Try lifting the footvalve and cleaning it.

Do you get any air spitting out of faucets? If so, there could be a suction side leak.

Also, assuming a shallow well jet pump, the jet could be partially clogged. You may want to try cleaning it.

Reach4

Reaction score

the pump does kick on and off at the right pressures, it just takes a long time to reach the pressures.

I think I did not pay proper attention to these two sentences. I was thinking that the shower worked well longer than the draw-down of the pressure tank could account for, but I probably should not have done so.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks