well water discolored after power outage

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by alleycat, Apr 6, 2007.

1. alleycat

alleycat New Member

Hello all
    We got socked with heavy snow here Tuesday night, and the power was out for 20 hours. When it came back, our well water was brown. It seems clear now, but should I be testing it? Our well is 2 years old and 450+ feet deep.
    Thanks for any responses!
  2. leejosepho

leejosepho DIY scratch-pad engineer

I would doubt there is any need for concern. The period of dormancy possibly allowed a bit of settling that was later lifted out during a higher-than-usual demand when your overall system was replenished.
  3. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

If there wasn't but 10-20 gals or less of the dirty water, then the cause was probably sediment from iron in the water in the plumbing coming loose when you got water running again. The cause is due to the water lines being depressurized for 20 hrs and that allows sediment to come loose to be flushed out later.

That would happen for sure if you have a leaking check valve in/on a submersible pump and it allowed air into the plumbing as water ran back to the well.