well-trol will not regulate

Users who are viewing this thread

confused

Reaction score
Good day all
I have a well-trol 32225487 tank that is used for a sprinkler system. When there isn't a draw on the system the pressure gauge and square d pumptrol are working as though there is. I have adjusted the cut-in/off knobs to no avail.

The sprinkler system works well, but the pump doesn't regulate. Please advise.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I am guessing you mean the pump is still cycling on and off even though you are not using water. If so, this means you have a leak or the check valve is not working.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm confused too. Tanks don't regulate. Do you have some kind of electronic control system, or just a pressure switch?

Describe the system in detail from pump to control to tank.

What are the symptoms that you observe?

confused

Reaction score
I am guessing you mean the pump is still cycling on and off even though you are not using water. If so, this means you have a leak or the check valve is not working.

The Tank is a pre-charged system, am I correct in saying that these do not have check valves? Therefore, a leak would be the problem. If so, how do I diagnose this positively and can a home owner with little plumbing skills fix the leak?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
If it is a submersible pump, the check valve should be in the pump. If it is a shallow well jet pump there is usually a foot valve, which is a check valve at the well inlet. There should be no check valve in the tank.

There should never be a check valve between the tank and the pressure switch.

You need to give us a few more specifics on the symptoms so we can offer a diagnosis.

First, is the pressure gauge working? If not, you need a good gauge.

If you use some water, at what pressure does the switch close and the pump start?

If you shut of water usage when the pump starts, how many seconds does it take to pump up to the point where the pump shuts off?

At what pressure does the pump shut off.

When the pump shuts off, does the pressure drop immediately? If yes, how many psi within the first 5 seconds.

If you don't use any water, how long does it take to lose an additional 5 psi after the pressure settles in the first 5 seconds.

If you use no water, how long does it take before the pump re-starts?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks