Well system tank stooped question-pressure setting

Users who are viewing this thread

Jay Jay Ramirez

Reaction score
Hi all, I wanted to check the pressure on my well system tank and I'm not sure about the pump settings. I'm new to well systems so be patient. Tank is a do it best model hw120 made in 2003. It stands about 30 inches tall. Roughly 1 ft in diameter. It was pressurized at 32 psi according to manufacturer. Heard a whistle sound at the end of cycling at the Low end I believe and was told to check th diaphram. Any other advise would be very appreciated.....thanks Jay

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
To check the air pressure in a bladder tank the power to the pump must be turned off. Then a faucet should be opened until water stops coming out of the tap. While the pump is off and the faucet is still open, you can check the air pressure at the schrader valve on top of the tank. You will need to use a car tire pressure gauge on the schrader valve. The air pressure in the tank should be 2 to 10 PSI below the "start" pressure of the pump. IE; with a 40/60 pressure switch, the air pre-charge in the tank should be no higher than 38 PSI and no lower than 30 PSI. Use an air compressor to pre-charge the tank to the correct pressure. If the air is coming back out of the open faucet, then the bladder is busted. If while holding the valve core down on the schrader valve, water comes out, the bladder is busted. If the schrader valve will not accept air from the compressor, the bladder is most likely busted.

From the sticky above titled "Pressure tank maintenance".

Jay Jay Ramirez

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply....how do I know which switch I have? The pressure usually stays between 50 &60 psi i believe and the tank was precharged at 32 psi. I guess I should recharge to 32psi again? Thanks in advance

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks