Well System making loud banging sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike Hewitt

Reaction score
Trying to diagnose a large banging sound from my crawl space. Here are the variables:

1. House is 1.5 years old
  2. All pipes have been secured
  3. Water arrestor installed on main line and washer machine per recommendation of plumber
  4. Plumber changed check valve at tank in crawl space - this did not cure the problem
  5. Do not believe there is air in the system - when running water we see no signs of air in the line
  6. Plumber would like to change check valve at well - not sure if that is the issue?
  7. Any fixture in the house can cause the bang - not specific to any fixture
  8. The bang has been happening since shortly after moving in
Any ideas?

Reach4

Reaction score
When does the bang occur? When pump cuts on? When washer/dishwasher cuts off, or what?
Where is the pump; above ground or down the well?
If the pump is above ground, how many pipes go between the pump and the well?

Last edited:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cancel the plumber and call in a pump tech and have him remove the dart and spring from the check valve on the tank.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
What Craigpump said. The above ground check valve is causing the problem.

I saw this same thing just recently, a five hp 25 gpm pump with 1.25 piping all the way to the tanks. After 12 years ( I did the original installation) the owners began hearing a load bang that radiated through the house. I gutted the check valve at the tank and the noise went away.

Mike Hewitt

Reaction score
The bang can occur from any fixture - seems to be when the well tank is calling for more water from the well. So I guess when the pump goes on.

Pump is below grade in well

above ground check valve (adjacent to well tank) was replaced a week agao- are you saying to gut this?

Reach4

Reaction score
The bang can occur from any fixture - seems to be when the well tank is calling for more water from the well. So I guess when the pump goes on.

Pump is below grade in well
Replys #3, #4, and #5 presumed that-- that you have a submersible pump.
above ground check valve (adjacent to well tank) was replaced a week agao- are you saying to gut this?
Yes, either gut the check valve or replace it with a pipe and/or union.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is it possible that the check valve in the well is the issue?
I think that is possible. If you gut the check valve and find the new symptoms worse, you would restore the top side check valve. Odds are that gutting the topside check valve will fix it.

Mike Hewitt

Reaction score
I can not find a plumber that will gut the check valve by the tank - they want to change the check at the well pump. Although when the tech shows up they find no signs (trouble shooting) of an issue with that check valve. Anyone know a plumber/well man in or near Elkton, MD that may be able to help - the bang is pretty violent and I am concerned damage will be done if I can no correct the issue? Any help is appreciated.

Reach4

Reaction score
I can not find a plumber that will gut the check valve by the tank - they want to change the check at the well pump.
What about the plumber who wanted to change the check valve in your original post?

If he doesn't feel confident in knowing how to gut the check valve, he would know how to replace the check valve with a piece of pipe.

If you took a sharp picture of the check valve, somebody here may recognize it and give you some info.

Mike Hewitt

Reaction score
he says the check valve is there for a reason and removing it is not an option - he wants to change the check valve in the well? Nobody is really sure what will work - has not experienced this before

Reach4

Reaction score
he says the check valve is there for a reason and removing it is not an option - he wants to change the check valve in the well? Nobody is really sure what will work - has not experienced this before
The people on this thread that are not you and me are very experienced. They are making an assessment of the odds based on that experience.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
My BS detector is going off!

Yes, standard practice is to have a check valve at the tank, however, some states have banned the practice.

Your plumber doesn't want to gut it because it's a small job compared to pulling the pump. Once the pump is on the ground, he can put the hard sell on you for another one, plus wire, splice kits, torque arrestors, well cap.........

Take a picture, maybe it's installed in such a way that you can do it yourself.

Mike Hewitt

Reaction score
photo attached
check v copy.png

Mike Hewitt

Reaction score
If I were to get rid of the check valve at the tank what type of problem/issue could that cause - why is it there in the first place

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks