Well short cycling after repriming.

Users who are viewing this thread

SomeAnonGuy

Reaction score
So we had a storm roll through the other day that knocked out power for about four hours. Unbeknownst to me once power was restored, the well had lost it's prime and I ran the tank dry.

Ever since I reprimed it it's been short cycling. We're talking "On for one second, off for one second" and I just noticed this today.

Did I incorrectly prime the well or did something happen to get off kilter when the tank went empty and the well lost it's prime?

Reach4

Reaction score
You have a problem with your pressure tank, or the path between the pressure tank and the pressure switch is clogged.

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
while there may be a tank issue, doesnt explain the loss of prime. sounds like a bad check valve or foot valve.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
while there may be a tank issue, doesnt explain the loss of prime. sounds like a bad check valve or foot valve.

I agree, That could be the case, unless water kept being used during the power outage.

What kind of pump, tank do you have ?

SomeAnonGuy

Reaction score
I'm not quite sure of the combination. All I know it that it's an above ground pump and the tank is fairly old and has a schrader valve on it. I don't -think- it's a bladder type. From what I read metal tanks generally aren't bladder types.

And the reason why it lost prime was because I had a sink dripping overnight and the power outage happened while I was asleep. My bad.

Reach4

Reaction score
Most pressure tanks today are steel and have a Schrader valve on the top. Before tossing that, you should kill the pump again and drain the water pressure by opening a faucet. Measure the air pressure. The precharge air pressure should be about 4 PSI below the point that your jet pump turns back on. If it will not maintain that air pressure or if water comes out of the valve, replace the tank.

The better pressure tanks have a diaphragm rather than a bladder, but people often call them bladder tanks anyway.

SomeAnonGuy

Reaction score
Most pressure tanks today are steel and have a Schrader valve on the top. Before tossing that, you should kill the pump again and drain the water pressure by opening a faucet. Measure the air pressure. The precharge air pressure should be about 4 PSI below the point that your jet pump turns back on. If it will not maintain that air pressure or if water comes out of the valve, replace the tank.

The better pressure tanks have a diaphragm rather than a bladder, but people often call them bladder tanks anyway.

Thanks! I'll do this in the morning.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks