Well seal

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by rick.a, Mar 2, 2007.

1. rick.a

rick.a New Member

I have a dug well (don't laugh, it has great water...and came with the place). It has a concrete cap about 3ft in diameter with a hole about 3inches in diameter for the drop pipe from the jet pump. The hole not sealed, so bugs and other junk can fall in. I have heard about well seals but not seen any. Is there one for this type of setup, and can it be installed in my hole without having to lift up the concrete cap? The cap is several inches thick and very heavy.

As soon as the Spring thaw comes I will be putting the pump back in and want to do it correctly. The prior install was a mess.

thanks,
  2. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

I don't know of any seal for it but you may be able to make something.
  3. leejosepho

leejosepho DIY scratch-pad engineer

Made by Fernco or whomever, there are fluted rubber bushings for installing various pipe sizes into larger fittings or holes, and I cannot imagine your having much difficulty finding a 3" x (your pipe size) one that will work. A little food-grade grease or cooking oil, my personal favorite, will assist your sliding the bushing down your pipe toward the hole, and some butyl sealer applied to the flutes/ribs on the outside of the bushing will help to assure its seal in the concrete hole without forcing the butyl into your well.
  4. rick.a

rick.a New Member

Thanks Leejosepho. I will look for such an adapter. I just wanted to be sure that there wasn't something designed for this that I missed.
  5. Rancher

Rancher Guest

6. speedbump

speedbump Previous member

Rancher is correct. Well seals are normally only used in warm climates where the well is terminated above ground and a pitless adaptor isn't needed. The 3 X 1" or the 3 X 1-1/4 would likely work for you.

You can see one here.

bob...
  7. Pumpman

Pumpman Pump Sales

Seems to me that I saw a CSV/well seal combo set somewhere..... or maybe I was thinking of something else.......(-;
    Ron
  8. rick.a

rick.a New Member

Hi Bob, A warm climate well is really what I have hear in Massachusetts, since we use it only in Summer. After I get a good measure of the hole, I'll order one of the seals.
    thanks.
  9. speedbump

speedbump Previous member

You could have seen them at my house Ron :)

bob...