Well runs constantly, pressure does not decrease

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Jjohns, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Jjohns

Jjohns New Member

A little help, please! My well is running continuously. I shut it off at the breaker and the pressure (reading 70+) has not fallen after several hours. I drained the system and replaced the 40/60 switch. When I turned it back on, the pressure climbed back up to 70+.

I drained the pressure back below 60 with the pump off and it's holding at that level.

Any suggestions?
  2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

The nipple to the switch may be plugged.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The pump can ONLY pump to 70psi, but something will NOT shut it off before it reaches that pressure.
  4. LLigetfa

The pressure switch may be wired incorrectly and is switching the neutral but the neutral may be finding an alternate return.
  5. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

Buy a new pressure gauge and report back.
  6. LLigetfa

...or if it is a bladder tank, measure the air pressure on the bladder to very the water pressure gauge.
  7. Clydesdale

Clydesdale New Member

Even though you put a new pressure switch; doesn't mean it's preadjuated properly. Did you adjust it? When you replace it, you should of seen water come out the nipple which would determine what LLigetfa suggested. Like ballvalve said, buy a new psi gauge and see.