Well Pump won't engage or switch off automatically

Users who are viewing this thread

cabinfever

Reaction score
I have a ski house in NH that sits idle in the summer months. I shut the electricity down and drain all the water pipes (but not the pressure tank) when I leave it in the late spring. This fall, when I fired everything up, I got low and intermittent water pressure. The pump either (a) does not come on when the pressure drops or (b) does not turn off if I adjust the cut in switch so it does come on but then it never turns off. I don't have a pressure gauge on either side of switch (yet).

I drained the water pressure tank (non-bladder type) and made sure I had adequate air in the system. I disassembled the "Square D" pump control switch a and checked the diaphragm to make sure it was clean and not jammed or torn. I also disconnected the supply line and verified that the one-way valve was behaving properly. I did get a decent flow of water (volume) from the pump when I had the pipe disconnected to check the one way valve but I'm not sure at what pressure.

Do you think the pressure switch is defective, or the pump is supplying good volume but inadequate pressure ? Or is there something I am missing with the pressure tank?

Thanks in advance your advice ..

Speedbump

Reaction score
Explain this quote a little better.
I did get a decent flow of water (volume) from the pump when I had the pipe disconnected to check the one way valve but I'm not sure at what pressure.

Where is this check valve?

bob...

WV Hillbilly

Reaction score
You said you could adjust the pressure switch till the pump would run but it wouldn't cut off . Do you have good water pressure in the house when the pump is running ?

cabinfever

Reaction score
Thanks Bob,
I disconnected the pipe between the well head and the one-way valve, then activated the pump and water flowed out of the pipe at a pretty good clip, but I didn't have a pressure gauge to test if at that point.

cabinfever

Reaction score
Thanks Hillbilly,
the pressure in the house was ok, but not great when the pump was running ..

Speedbump

Reaction score
This is a submersible pump, right? If it is, you don't need another check valve where this one is.

Get a good gauge somewhere on the system, it doesn't matter where, and one is all you need.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks