Well Pump Woes

Users who are viewing this thread

jalinker

Reaction score
I think my well pump is dying... the water pressure in the house is fluctuating, then it stops for about 2-3 minutes then it kicks in again fluctuating. With the water fluctuations, you can also see the hous lights flicker, like the pump is kicking in and out... my question is this: is there a way to repair the pump? it is a sumbersible well pump, I have no idea how deep the well is, though. is it possible to replace it? can I replace it with an above-ground pump without removing the old pump, or will the submersible have a flow stop device of some sort?

Any other info I can provide, please ask. I am good at general repairs and such, but wonder if I will be over my head if I try to "get my feet wet" in this repair...

Thanks!

Deb

Plumber
Reaction score
Deb

Although the lights flickering is not a good sign, there could be other things causing this. It may be a very good idea to get a pro to figure out what exactly is wrong (a clogged nipple to the pressure switch can cause on and off fluxuations) before you start replacing things that may not need replacing.
You could be running out of water, you could have an electrical short, there are alot of things that can go wrong with a well system and the average person is not able to diagnose the problem.
Deb
The Pipewench

Spaceman Spiff

Architect
Reaction score
The lights dimming in the house indicates that the motor has to work really hard to start the impellers, drawing much more current for a longer time than usual. Like Deb says there could be a number of things causing this... shot bearings, water in the windings, loss of an armature winding... in any case it looks like you'll need to pull the pump.

jalinker

Reaction score
Well Info

When I say flickering, I dont mean anything like strobing on and off, just something such as, like when the AC kicks on, you know, you can "see" it when it does that, just a slight faint dim... you can see the "dim" then you get water...

Is there any way I can find out who dug a well, how deep it is, or when it was done? Is this kind of information available on the land deed or anything like that? I am in Salisbury, NC.

I do not know who to call, or what to ask or anything like that... If the pump is not too deep, I would attempt to remove/refurb/reinstall it myself...

Thank you!

Last edited:

Spaceman Spiff

Architect
Reaction score
In Utah there is a database of all of the water rights and wells that show all of the details about the wells. Perhaps there is somethinfg similar for your state or county.

Dennis

In the Trades
Reaction score
Contact your county health dep't. quite often there is a requirement that the well be logged with them including who drilled it, the well log and depth. Dennis

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks