well pump shorted to ground

Users who are viewing this thread

wetbar

Reaction score
Hey I have a well pump that is about 300 feet down. I was not getting water so I tested the wires and all were shorted to ground but not a dead short. I was getting about 10M of resistance. I pulled the pump up and did find a bad wire. I replaced the wire and tested the pump while out just for .5 sec or so and it worked. I'm think cool - just for the fun I checked all wingdings to grounds and they were still shorted to ground, but not dead shorted same as before. All the windings look great when test to each other(start to run was 18, run to common was 3, and common to start was 15) but all all them was about 10M or higher to the ground wire and to the metal of the pump. This pump has to be bad, right?

Thanks for the help

Reach4

Reaction score
10 Megohm is not a problem. At 240 V, I think we are looking at 0.024 milliamps of leakage. A GFI would trip at nominal 5 milliamps.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks