Well Pump Running Intermittently

Users who are viewing this thread

Chuck Mahan

Reaction score
We had a problem with water running out, especially after high use.

Unfortunately, at first I couldn't tell much because the pressure gauge was rusted out. So today I drained the tank, recharged the bladder to 28 psi, installed a new pressure gauge and installed a new 30-50 pressure switch.

All good, turned the breaker back on - and same problem. With the pressure switch calling for well pump (under 50 psi), the pump would run for a few seconds (maybe 5) then shut off. With no water running in the house, the water pressure did get up to 50 psi within a couple of minutes. At 50 PSI the pressure switch cut off correctly. I installed the switch exactly as the old switch was wired (took a picture, matched exactly wiring as it had been for the last 20 (at least) years.

We have had a couple episodes of sediment settling in the well, after a 1-2 down pours of 4 inches of rain. And the old pressure switch was packed with sand. With the old rusted out gauge, I couldn't tell if the old switch was acting the same way - I assume it was.

Is the pump itself cutting itself out ? Overheating? No starting? Other?

Thanks for the help - either way - I think it is time for someone to pull up the pump and inspect.

Reach4

Reaction score
It may be that the pressure tank is full of water on the wrong side of the bladder/diaphragm due to a leak. The tank would need replacing in that case. Try knocking on the tank to see if it sounds as if it is full of water.

You had zero PSI of water when you measured the 28 PSI of air, right? You should have had all of the water out for that.

Your problem does not sound as if the pump has failed -- yet.

What would be nice would be if it was just a clogged pipe.

I would replace the pressure gauge and clean out the pipe to the gauge and pressure tank. Replacing the pressure tank would be next if the cleaning did not solve your problem.

I am not a pro.

Chuck Mahan

Reaction score
Yes, as I said I did all that. And yes, I drained the tank and with tank drain valve open - I did increase the air pressure from around 15 up to 28. I listened for leaks and didn't hear any and air pressure appear to maintain. The tank sounds appropriate, air on top, water on the bottom.

I also cleaned out the riser to the pressure switch too - it was solid plug. I am going to assume that we have been short cycling the pump for awhile now.

To be clear - the pressure switch is staying closed now until the pressure rises up to 50, but you can tell the pump stops intermittently (you can see pressure rise and hear the hum when it is running).

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
A clamp on Amprobe would help determine what your problem is, but if the pump has been moving sediment for 20 yrs, it's probably dying

Reach4

Reaction score
Where is the pump? If not in the well, how many pipes go down the well?

I am wondering if the level of the water is not recovering fast enough to keep up.

Chuck Mahan

Reaction score
A clamp on Amprobe would help determine what your problem is, but if the pump has been moving sediment for 20 yrs, it's probably dying

Yes - well the sediment has been very infrequent-only 3 times in my memory. That aside, it is probably 30 years old, we haven't done anything to it since 97, and house was built in 80s.

I don't have a clamp on, but I see where you going. It would be good to know what it is pulling. I did learn one thing, on closer inspection of the pressure tank, the well installer wrote "120' and 80 cc" What does that mean?

I have an idea what it means, but not sure.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think he meant 120 feet of sch 80 PVC drop pipe.

30 years + or - for a pump is great life, you certainly got a good return on your investment. Why not treat yourself to a new system, pump, tank etc and not have to worry about it for years to come?

Chuck Mahan

Reaction score
I think he meant 120 feet of sch 80 PVC drop pipe.

30 years + or - for a pump is great life, you certainly got a good return on your investment. Why not treat yourself to a new system, pump, tank etc and not have to worry about it for years to come?

I agree, getting a quotes now for replacement - just like to know what I am looking at. Although I was suprised that resolving the other two problems (low bladder pressure and plugged pressure switch) didn't help the problem. Although they probably expedited the pump failure.

I went and rechecked the writing it actually says
170' DEEP
66' CAS

Reach4

Reaction score
I went and rechecked the writing it actually says
170' DEEP
66' CAS
The three numbers that would be expected are how deep the well is, how far down the pump is set, and how far down the water is.

So I don't know what CAS would be, but I would expect it was the water level. That number is useful in selecting a well pump to be sure that the pump is efficient at that depth, although you would like the pump to be able to pump adequately if the water level were to drop closer to the place where the pump is set.

You had clogging in your system, which you cleaned out. I think that would probably be indicative of what has accumulated in your well bore. Some well places offer a cleaning service where, when the pump is pulled, they put a piece of pipe down the well. They blow with a big compressor -- maybe 7 HP-- and water with solids comes blowing up like a geyser. I don't know how much money I would expect to cost. I am thinking over $200 extra and less than $900. It would be interesting if somebody posted actual numbers for this. People have posted about DIY with an "air lift pump" and a much smaller compressor. That takes a lot more time, and the well pump would still have to be out during the process.

While talking to well people, you might see what they offer for cleaning.
http://www.ngwa.org/Documents/ClipCopy/residential-well-cleaning-info-sheet.pdf discusses cleaning a bit.
Well system disinfection can be a good DIY thing, and it should be done after getting a submersible pump pulled. http://www.moravecwaterwells.com/disin_test.htm is my favorite well disinfection writeup.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
While we are making things up...

It is the depth of the well, and the year, and initials of the person that put it in.

How is that for pulling a answer out of my ass ?

Good Luck on your project, and forgive me if you can.

Have Fun.

Chuck Mahan

Reaction score
So on a whim I called the name of the pump guy on the tank. He answered and although he is semi-retired and offered to come right over. 20 minutes later he was in the driveway.

He looked things over and clamped his amp-meter on the wiring to the pump. It read 2 or 3 times the amperage (I cant remember if was 9 or 12 or higher). We then pulled the pump and replaced it with a new stainless steel model (I opted over composite). He replaced wires too, although mostly in good shape, I did find a few nicks, and since he had to add a ground wire for code, it made sense to just replace it all.

Sank the pump, and fired it up. Lots or pressure. My fear of the earlier two sediment in the water event is nothing compared to sediment and rust stirred up by pulling pump. I am guessing it was just that pump's time.

All in all, I think he treated me right, especially since he came right over and had it done by lunch.

Last edited:

Chuck Mahan

Reaction score
Did you ask him what 66 CAS means?

Glad you got it sorted and sounds like you were given good service.
No I forgot. Guessing the waterline, that would correspond to about what we found. He seemed to know where the waterline was before, because he said it hadn't gone down much. He must have some indicator of what it was originally - he certainly wouldn't have remembered it from 98.

Jtoro

Reaction score
So on a whim I called the name of the pump guy on the tank. He answered and although he is semi-retired and offered to come right over. 20 minutes later he was in the driveway.

He looked things over and clamped his amp-meter on the wiring to the pump. It read 2 or 3 times the amperage (I cant remember if was 9 or 12 or higher). We then pulled the pump and replaced it with a new stainless steel model (I opted over composite). He replaced wires too, although mostly in good shape, I did find a few nicks, and since he had to add a ground wire for code, it made sense to just replace it all.

Sank the pump, and fired it up. Lots or pressure. My fear of the earlier two sediment in the water event is nothing compared to sediment and rust stirred up by pulling pump. I am guessing it was just that pump's time.

All in all, I think he treated me right, especially since he came right over and had it done by lunch.[/QUOTE

How much did he charge you for all that? (Pull pump / drop new stainless steal / wire it up..etc?)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks