Well/pump/remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

FirstHomeGirl

Reaction score
Background:
I have a well in my house. In the basement a section of my foundation was cut out and the wellhead is in a small alcove just beside my house. This alcove is dirt floor and the ceiling has boards over it, and then is covered in concrete. The concrete goes above ground level and is wrapped in a rubber membrane.
Over the dirt I laid 2 layers of 6 mil plastic because a radon test came back as higher than acceptable. To hold the plastic down I laid about 25 bricks on the corners.

Over the last 24 hours we have had a lot of rain, at times absolutely pouring. It's obviously saturated the ground now. In the alcove, water has come up from the dirt and is trapped under the plastic, except for one area where a previous owner had chiseled out a knotch for water to drain to the sump pump a couple inches away. This is all fine and dandy, because it's not flooding my basement. HOWEVER, I am wondering if it is possible to dig out some of this dirt and pour concrete Thus helping with both radon and the water issue. Is this even a good idea seeing as how if I have a well problem they will have to get in there? Could I lay it and leave an inch around the well head open?

On a side note, could I further close off the hole in the foundation? or would that lack of heat cause the well head to freeze in the winter? Do you people think it would work better with a small access door of some sort?

I know I asked a lot of questions, and it may not have been the right forum, but hopefully someone can direct me.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
FirstHomeGirl said:
This alcove is dirt floor and the ceiling has boards over it, and then is covered in concrete. The concrete goes above ground level and is wrapped in a rubber membrane.

Are the walls of this alcove also concrete, or possibly brick or block? Also, is this a large-casing well with a submersible pump, or is this a small well with a pump sitting nearby?

Overall, my guess would be that the well driller worked from the outside of the house, then the alcove was built around the well (or at least covered) afterward.

FirstHomeGirl said:
I am wondering if it is possible to dig out some of this dirt and pour concrete ...
Is this even a good idea seeing as how if I have a well problem they will have to get in there? Could I lay it and leave an inch around the well head open?

I cannot think of any reason you should not do that. Your well would still be just as accessible, and even if the alcove had to be opened at the top for someone to work from above.

FirstHomeGirl said:
On a side note, could I further close off the hole in the foundation? or would that lack of heat cause the well head to freeze in the winter? Do you people think it would work better with a small access door of some sort?

When you say "foundation", you are talking about the basement wall, yes?

Find out what is the "frost line" in the area where you live, and I would suspect the bottom of your alcove and your well and pump are well below that. Where I happen to live, the frost line is around three feet, meaning nothing normally freezes below that point. So then, yes, you could likely close off that alcove without having to be concerned about freezing, but I am inclined to believe you might then have to deal with somehow venting that area to avoid the mildew or mold or whatever else might be commonly associated with trapped moisture.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks