Well pump pressure switch

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by peterd, Aug 24, 2005.

1. peterd

peterd New Member

Its is possible for a home owner to change the values a well pump pressure switch comes on at. Right now the pressure switch is set for about 30psi (looks more like 28psi on the meter) and kicks off at 60psi. I would like to up the 30psi to say 40psi. Is this possible without replacing the pressure switch altogether? Is the 30/60 normal or am I better off with 40/60?

Thanks
    Peter
  2. speedbump

speedbump Previous member

It is possible. With the 30/60 setting you get a better drawdown than with 40/60, but less pressure at the low end. The bigger drawdown is always better for the pump motor, but bad in the shower. Your call.

My FAQ page will explain how to make the adjustments assuming you have a Square D Switch or similar.

bob...
  3. peterd

peterd New Member

Bob,

If I decide to change the pressure switch from 30/60 to 40/60 do I have to worry about the amout of air in the bladder? How about if I decide to change it the pressure switch to 40/70?

To set get the correct pressure in the bladder I suspect that I will need to drain the pressure tank of water?

Thanks
    Peter
  4. speedbump

Either way, I would still stay with the two pounds less than cut in.

bob...
  5. peterd

peterd New Member

Is anyone farmilar with a air-over-water-tank pressure tank? Is does not have a bladder from what Starite is telling me. So if I wish to adjust the pressure setting on the tank is it just a matter of adjusting the pressure switch?

Thanks
    Peter
  6. speedbump

I have never heard anyone call a pneumatic and air over water before. Since air is lighter than water, the air is going to be over the water anyway.

Adjusting the pressure is like you say, but you will have to de waterlog this tank all the time.

bob...
  7. peterd

peterd New Member

Bob,

What do you mean be de-waterlog all of the time. Is the something I am suppose to be doing that I am not. The pump/well driller never mentioned anything. :eek:

-Peter
  8. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

That means to drain the tank periodically to allow the proper volume of air to enter the tank. Over time air is absorbed into the water and it has to be replaced if the tank doesn't have an automatic air vloume control or if it isn't working.

Gary
    Quality Water Associates
  9. peterd

peterd New Member

Well this is getting more fun by the minute. I went and inspected trhe tank tonight. The tank has an input from the well, an output for the house service, pressure gauge, and pressure switch. Thats it. Nothing else. There isn't an Air Volume Control unless it's part of the pressure gauge. Also from what I can tell there does not exist a drain on the tank.

Here is the link to the tank. What I am trying to do is increase the pressure from 28/56 to 40/60. I just don't want to blow anything up.

Gary, will increasing the pressure affect the erosion chlorinator at all?

Thanks
    Peter
  10. speedbump

If your tank looks like the third picture down with the Air Volume Control and your gauge is on top of it. You may at one time had an air making system. I don't think we discussed your pump, so I'm assuming you have a submersible. And if the above is true, your air making device of hole in the pipe has plugged up and is no longer making air. This results in a waterlogged tank.

bob...
  11. peterd

peterd New Member

I will take some pictures of the tank tonight and post them. I am the original owner of the house. The tank is 18 months old.

Thanks
    Peter
  12. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

Increasing the pressure settings won't effect an inline pellet chlorinator. Not having the proper air pressure in the tank probably will though.

Whoever installed the tank should have used a regular (cast bronze etc.) tank tee and plumbed in a boiler drain to allow draining of the tank and also a pressure relief valve, which is code.

Gary
    Quality Water Associates
  13. peterd

peterd New Member

Well here are some pictures of the tank. Your guys can the try to figure out what I have.

Thanks
    Peter

Attached Files:

14. speedbump

That is a Johnson Air Volume Control (air release valve) on the side under the gauge. Apparently you had an air making system and it's not working now. If your pump is cycling that is.

The tank you have is definately not a bladder tank.

bob...