Well Pump Pressure Switch constantly cycling on and off

Users who are viewing this thread

oldcodger

Reaction score
Having problems with pressure switch rapidly cycling on and off when engaging the pump. This is a new system as I just replaced all the components (Switch, Bladder tank and Pump). Can't seem to reach that magic setting of the two adjustment springs.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
There is no magical setting for a pressure switch. Just don't mess with the little adjustment screw and it will stay 20 PSI between on and off, no matter where you set the on/off with the large adjustment screw. Since you replaced everything but the check valve, I am guessing this is happening while no water is being used, which means the check valve is not holding.

But we need more info....

Jet pump or submersible?
Where are the check valve(s)?
How much air pressure is in the tank?
What pressure is the switch turning the pump on and off?
Is it cycling while using water or while not using water?

oldcodger

Reaction score
It's a 1 hp. Myers Jet Pump and the check valve (new as well) is in the in house line prior to entering the pump (distance about 31 linear inches). The air pressure was 38 lbs before adding the water to the system. The switch (30/50) engages at 39lbs and off at 50 lbs. It's only cycling while using water. The pressure tank is a vertical 20 gal. capacity.

When both small and large screw(s)/spring(s) of the new pressure switch are positioned as the factory set them; the switch keeps rapidly cutting on and off when it is engaged. It will only stop if I tighten the large spring C/W a little less than 1/2 the way down. Afterwards, the pump turns on at 38/40 lbs. and off at 50 lbs., but it continues to run 34+/- seconds during each recharge time (as long as no water spickets are in the on position....eg. flushing toilet). The pump will continue to run longer if water is continually being used (eg. using shower or outside spicket).

All was operating okay for a short while, but last evening, I used the shower and noticed the lights began to flicker in the bath area. I checked the pump and it was stuck in that rapid cutting on and off again loop.

I was under the impression the switch was supposed to engage at 30 lbs. and disengage at 50 lbs. and take much less time time recharging the pressure.

Reach4

Reaction score
How long is the pipe from the pressure switch to the pressure tank? They should be close. You might want to post a photo that includes the pressure switch and the bottom of the pressure tank and the piping in between.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A picture would be good. A 20 gallon pressure tank only holds 5 gallons of water. So it will cycle for every 5 gallons used, which is probably about every 30 seconds or so. But if it is cycling faster than that the bladder tank is most likely bad. If that is the case this would be a good time to consider replacing it with a PK1A, which will eliminate the cycling.
https://cpkits.com/collections/frontpage/products/pk1a

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
The precharge pressure in your pressure tank is way too high. The pressure should be 2 pounds LESS than the low pressure setting of your pressure switch. In your case, with a jet pump, you may need to lower it an additional 2 pounds, to a total of 4 pounds less pressure.

Adjust the pressure in the pressure tank, not adjust the pressure switch settings.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
The ONLY time you adjust your pressure switch is if you are wanting to change your system pressure. Otherwise you adjust the precharge in your bladder tank to match the preseeure switch. Usually pressure tanks are shipped with 40 psi or so in them. They then need to be adjusted to the pressure switch that they are being used with.

Every new installer I've had at some time has called me and said "Just installed every thing. I turned it on and it rapid cycles". To my self I think "dumb ass, how many times have I told you this?" Then I actually say to them "did you check the precharge in the pressure tank"? Their reply is always "Uhh, no?" I tell them to check and adjust the precharge and try again. Works fine then.

The moral of this is? Yeah, even Pro's forget this step sometimes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks